Computer Blues :(

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ft2057, Feb 21, 2009.

1. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Alright, I've been having problems since day 1 with this. At first, I had a Gigabyte mobo, when I plug everything in, the board will power up the fans, and case leds. However, it did not give me a single beep to indicate the hardware was good. I've tried it a couple of times and nothing happened but a power up with no bios boot or mobo boot logo. So, I assumed it was a bad mobo and sent it back. I then received another replacement and had the same problem, connections were verified by a couple of friends and I even brought it to geeksquad and was verified by them as well. So needless to say I sent that back as well.

FINALLY I was able to get my current Asus running well. However, after a couple of hours running, the video blanked out and I was unable to get video on an O/S anymore. I rebooted and was able to access the bios and logo screen appears as normal. Once it boots up the O/S however (Vista premium) the screen blanks out and no signal was being sent. So, I assume its an O/S thing and tried to boot from Vista's dvd to reinstall a fresh copy. Everytime the O/S install screen is supposed to boot up the video signal is dropped again.

NOW, I am getting a mobo reboot problem. It is going through the hardware check and breifly shows the logo screen and restarts. This is now repeatedly happening. Any clues to what is going on? I think I may be cursed!:wtc:

Specs:
    Asus M3a78-T Mobo
    AMD Phenom 2 920
    2x Corsair DDr2 6400 2GB sticks
    Western Digital 500gb WD5001AALS
    GMC AZT-GMCR3 Case
    Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL-S 600w PSU

2. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I would test your memory. Try each stick individually, and see how far you get. You can also download MemTest at www.memtest.org and burn that to a CD. Boot off the CD, and the program will start. Let it run all the way through at least 1 pass on each stick.

3. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Thanks, I'll try that. Its been running ok for a couple of hours so I didn't think it was a memory issue.

4. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Do you have ACC enabled in bios?

5. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

I'm not sure, I'll have to check. What is ACC exactly?

6. SeeVinceRun

On new 790 mobos with 750 south bridges, there is Advanced Clock Calibration, its supposed to allow for much higher overclocks of phenoms than the previous chipset. Its been known to cause a few errors, though. One of them is a continual reboot when trying to load windows.

I have a 750SB mobo, and it does this with me as well. Until they get it straightened out, I would suggest turning it or leaving it off.

The motherboard you listed has that feature.

7. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Ah, sounds about right, this is real helpful info! Thank you for it. Is it enabled as a default setting?

8. SeeVinceRun

I dont know. Mine wasnt. I had to acess mine through the advanced chipset features, but I cant speak for your setup.

I should tell you, that while that rebooting part sounds like ACC, the rest of it doesnt. It sounds like you have bad onboard video or something like that.

Ill look around and see if I can find more for you.

9. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Well if its the onboard video, I would assume that it wouldn't display the bios nor the asus load up screen, yet they are displayed as usual.

10. SeeVinceRun

I know it. Odd problem man, acts like a bad video driver, but you say it runs for hours on end without any problems. And the other boards had problems with the video, too.

Test the ram, check the CPU temps, ETC. I wish I could help more.

11. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

Yeah, thanks again. I hope the ACC thing will fix everything though. I was only able to run the pc once for roughly a little over 2hrs before I ran into the video problem. It seems when it tries to load up vista the video is disabled for some reason. Not sure why.

My cpu temp is: 28 degrees
    And I'll have to check ram and maybe regrease the cpu.