Computer being retarded

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DVS SHO 93, Oct 9, 2007.

1. DVS SHO 93

DVS SHO 93 machine of hate

This has happened to me for a few months, and I can never figure out why. It seems every so often while I'm using my computer, things will stop working correctly. I can still watch videos, but if I try to re-size the media player window, it doesn't do anything. At the same time, if I load up something java based like google maps. I cant drag the map around to change the view. Also when this happens my screen saver usually wont turn on either.

When I look in the windows task manager and a process viewer, I do not see any odd programs running. What could cause this and how do I fix it other than re-starting?

2. DVS SHO 93

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Maybe reformat and start over. It's a pain in the ass for an evening, but it'll fix your woes.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Does it happen with videos you have saved to your computer, or just ones that you try to watch on the web?

If it's just stuff on the web, you can try this:

Right click the desktop > properties > Desktop > customize desktop >
    Web tab > See if the "Lock desktop items" box is selected.

If it is, then deselect it and ok/apply and exit.

5. DVS SHO 93

I only notice it when videos that I have saved on the computer. I dont really stream that many.

6. vipergts24

vipergts24 New Member

always a lazy way to solve a problem instead of isolating it and fixing it ><

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

It's the nuclear option, yes, but that means it's both lazy and effective. Yeah it'll wipe everything out, but you know the one problem is gone.

I prefer to isolate problems myself. But if this guy has been poking it for months and hasn't even got a clue as to what's wrong, then it's not worth the cumulative effort to keep poking at it.

8. DVS SHO 93

It seems like something starts running and is preventing things from happening. The most annoying is that my screen saver doesn't come on and shut down my monitor. But like I said, I dont notice anything in the task managers. I did notice the other day that I couldn't change between windows by clicking. I had to alt+tab and then I couldn't use google maps, etc.