computer beeps once and then locks up.. help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jdog12, Aug 22, 2006.

1. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

at random times my computer will give a single beep and then completely lock up. it has happened at various time, at the windows xp logon menu, during bootup (while loading up GRUB(linux bootloader) and then afterwards while also loading windows), while being idle(no one was on the computer, i heard it beep, came to check itout and it was locked up) i dont think it is a hard drive issue as i have two hard drives and i have windows vista running on the second hd, and if i tell it to boot off the second hd, it will do the same thing. any ideas or suggestions?

i have
    -msi motherboard
    a-md athlon 64 3000
    -1 gig ram
    -geforce fx5200 video card w/128mb ram
    -2 hard drivers, 160gig and 300 gig; running various operating systems, but the problem seems to affect all the operating systems which makes me think tis some kind of hardware issue.

im downloading sisoft sandra right now and see if i can run some diagnostic programs on it to test memory and whatnot, but besides that i cant think of any extra steps to take.

2. Fase

Fase Your Face, In A Pickle Jar.

Sorta have the same problem. Mine just freezes randomly at random times, even on POST. I looked into everything. Only thing left for me to do is remount the mobo and possibly the CPU.
    You build it yourself?

3. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

yeah, the 'diagnostic" lights that plug into the mobo that go in the back on one of the pci slots that came w/ the mobo arent telling me anything, i thought it was overheating for a bit, but then i started doing some encoding and it ran just fine at 100% cpu usage for about 15 minutes, so im starting to think thats not it. the weird thing is that it will beep a second before it locks up. i tried running sandra but as soon as i did it beeped and then like 2-3 seconds later(as opposed to less than one second) it locked up. i'm at work right now, but when i get home i'll try running sandra again and see what comes out of it.

4. Purple_Drank

Purple_Drank Guest

you got three problems

A

M

D

5. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Computers very, very rarely do random things. Try to find any pattern at all that might explain the lockups.

Failing that, the usual suspects for random lockups are a bad power supply, bad RAM, ground faults, and corrupted drivers.

6. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

my old mobo would randomly give me a weird problem. i would turn on the computer, i'd get a long beep, which indicated bad memory (gigabyte customer service also told me this) it would also light up the hard drive light and i would have no video output
    i swapped in new memory...most of the time it would work fine. then it would give me the long beep occassionally.

it started getting worse
    then i got pissed, i swapped out the ram for different brand ram
    i changed the power supply
    i swapped out the video card for a different one
    i must have resetted the cmos a million times
    even replaced the cmos battery
    tried all kinds of different drive configurations, ide and sata
    swapped out the processor for a different one i had from another computer
    pulled it out of the case and ran it on my kitchen table
    tried it hooked up to direct wall socket and to a ups also
    even tried starting it with no drives or cards
    tried starting it with no ram installed at all

still, it would start up maybe 1 out of 10 tries...totally randomly
    , like i wouldn't change anything and turn it on and it would boot up fine.

so, to fix the problem i bought a new motherboard for like $60 and it's worked fine
    gigabyte motherboards suck

7. jdog12

jdog12 New Member

Well, its been turned on for over a day and nothing has happened to it yet, i usually keep it turned on all the time and about a week ago decided to start turning it off when not in use, a couple of days after that my problems started. I dont know if it has anything to do with it or not, but hopefully this fixes my problems.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ah. Sounds like the stress of being on 24/7 has gotten to your computer. They say that turning a computer on and off wears it out faster, but only for the first few seconds while the computer is powering up; if you're reasonable and you turn your computer on once in the morning and off once in the evening, instead of turning it on and off constantly, it will last a lot longer than leaving it on 24/7. Those extra hours add up fast.

How are your fans doing? It could be that the CPU fan is cutting out periodically -- or running slowly all the time -- because its bearings are shot from being on for so long. That would cause your CPU to overheat and shut off.