Computer becomes very loud when playing game and stays loud afterward

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Soren, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I recently played a graphically intensive game for the first time in a couple of weeks and after about 5-6hrs of playing, the computer became very loud most likely because of increasing fan speed. Now, this is the first time such a thing has happened and I have played more graphically intensive games in the past for just as long a period with no issue.

After playing the game and closing it, the computer remains very loud. It remains loud after I restart and after shutting down for the night and logging on in the morning.

I opened up my case to try and isolate the noise but was unsuccessful. I read that it's possibly either the CPU fan or the power supply fan. I downloaded a CPU temp program and determined that my processor cores (2 of them) are at roughly 50C on idle. They go up to 55-60C on full operation. I use a stock HSF.

At this point, I tried to also download a fan speed regulator program but was unsuccessful.

What should I do to lower the fan speed or fix this noise issue? It's very loud.

2. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

check if your bios has cpu fan control
    if it's the graphics card, check its software (Nvidia control panel or ATI cat)

note: i wouldn't lower the fan speed if its overheating
    you could try cleaning it first, maybe its just dusty, use pressurized air
    if all else fails, replace them. fans do wear out.

3. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Well your CPU is hotter than I like to run mine but not in the danger zone. What is your GPU temp?

Isolating the fan noise would definitely be helpful, you could try various fan speed programs (like speedfan) to see if you can identify the noisy one by varying its speed some. Definitely don't turn it down and leave it down until you determine whether something is actually overheating and why.

Also regarding the fact that it was loud, what kind of loud? Was it just the loud of a fan running at high speed and moving a lot of air or was it an unusual sound? Fans do fail like Doomsday mentioned and sometimes they can become noisy when they are failing.

Consider that all additional suggestions and thoughts on top of Doomsday's good advice. Cleaning the dust out never hurts anyway, I will be doing that this week when I install my new video card.

4. Memopad

Memopad OT Supporter

+1 on the possible dust issue. Check for clogged heat sinks, its the cheapest option.

Fans do die after some time, aftermarket should yield some quieter designs anyway.

Your cpu temps aren't out of line at all, especially with the stock hsf. Get a decent aftermarket one and you'll probably drop 10C + easily. My q8200 is currently at 16C (62F)... granted my apt is on the chilly side lol. After playing a game like l4d for a couple hours or something else it might get close to 26C (80F).

5. emorphien

emorphien New Member

Uhh yeah, I'll say. My apartment is in the mid to high 70s so my CPU tends to hover in the mid 90s on idle (in other words around 35-36C).

6. TheRooTy

TheRooTy New Member

What graphics card are you using, I've been experiencing the same problem with a Nvidia 9500 GS 512Mb card, for this card though there is a known issue they are working on(they say), but for me my fan is load while on, idle or playing, and after a while of the fan being on it just shuts off and my computer jumps from a average of 160-175F to 350-400F

7. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Youre saying your GPU is 400 F? That thing would have melted long ago.

8. emorphien

emorphien New Member

+1, that's well above the limit. Either that's a misquote or your temp monitoring software blows.

9. SeeVinceRun

Most GPUs will shut off/fry at like 100 C +. 400 is like 205 C. :eek3:

10. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

:eek3: is your computer in an oven?

11. Krakerjak

Krakerjak Active Member

125 C is the max for military-spec,
    its much lower for general electronics
    :rofl:

12. SeeVinceRun

Jesus thats hot. My GPU never goes over 65 C but I have a dinky 9600 GSO.

13. TheRooTy

TheRooTy New Member

my average is 160-180F the plastic on my pros. already melted off.