computer auto restarting (done a search already)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by who?, Dec 14, 2004.

1. who?

who? Guest

most of my questions have been answered by doing a search, but something that im still wondering about:
    i just installed a new video card, and some people say it may be the power supply not giving enough power ( or osmething like that), so my comp restarts...

i was wondering if i could set that little switch behind my computer to a higher voltage settting to fix this auto restart problem

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

No, that's for switching from 110v to 220v. Unless you live in Europe, leave it on 110. If you are having power issues, the antec line of power supplies, specifically the true series are excellent replacement options.

3. who?

who? Guest

oh, ok...

about the problem.. in previous threads, it had been suggested that i turn off the auto restart function so that a blue screen would come up and i could see what the error message was.
    I just got a blue screen, and it had no error messages, just a blank blue screen

im pretty sure the problem isnt with overheating, as i left the sides of the tower open

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Antec psu == expensive crap.

Sparkle and Fortron are great cost-effective psus. Enermax is more on the expensive side, but is excellent. PCP&C is the best, but also requires a 2nd mortgate (not really, but it's pricey).

---------------------

As for the bluescreens, go back to the previous card and see if it still does it. Try the latest drivers too (not the ones from the CD).

post your system specs so we can help further.

5. who?

who? Guest

intel p4-1.6 ghz
    samsung 512 ddr pc2700 ram
    SiS 961 motherboard
    old vid card was ati radeon 7200 series 64mb (comp froze occasionally, but never restarted)
    new vid card is ati sapphire 9600 pro advantage 128mb (comp froze once, and restarted 4 times, all while playing games)

should i just return this vid card and try another brand? or can anyone pinpoint the problem? thanks so much for any advice.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ah, I have had the exact same problem with the exact same card in 2 customer systems. Try exchanging the card.

in both instances, a capacitor near the AGP leg was missing. I don't know why it gets knocked off, but it's obviously a horrible location for a cap.

7. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

go into your bios settings and check the video aperture setting. set it to the lowest level and try again

8. who?

who? Guest

phew... im hoping this will solve my problem :x:

and to col_panic, will going into bios and lowering the video aperature setting decrease my vid card's performance?

9. col_panic

col_panic calm like a bomb Moderator

as opposed to the computer rebooting?