SRS Computer addiction

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brianpsx, Mar 21, 2006.

1. brianpsx

brianpsx Life's a Peach

I know the computer and the internet are something quite common for everyday use by most people, but I am realizing the computer and the internet are becoming something I cannot live without. If I goto the library with my laptop, all I do is sit there and surf the net or even stare at the screen without doing anything. It prevents me from getting any work done. It also prevents me from much sleep because I will be wasting my time on the computer until late at night. My grades are seriously hurting this semester and I cannot let it do this to me. At work, they allow me to bring my laptop there and I do the exact same thing I do at home which is sit on the computer wasting time. I really want to do something about this. I feel I could be doing so much more with my life than just sit on the computer. The only positive thing going in my life right now is going to the gym 3x a week and keeping myself in good shape. Can anyone offer some advice regarding my situation? I don't think I will be able to give up using the computer. Thanks.

2. Clarity

Clarity New Member

What do you do on the internet/computer? I could understand game addictiong, but just the internet?

3. onslaught61

onslaught61 OT Supporter

you sound somewhat like me, except I'm not THAT addicted. I was gonna suggest doing something like working out, which is what I do, but apparently you already do. Would hanging out with friends and trying to get it off your mind help? You need to take the first step and just let it go.

4. brianpsx

brianpsx Life's a Peach

I'm addicted to downloading stuff off the net. Movies, music, etc. It just feels so routine for me. Even though it really does not help my life at all. Also, I surf forums alot. Cars forums. OT. I will browse a forum and walk away from the computer. 1 Minute later I will walk back on the computer and goto the same forum with no new posts.

5. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Im the same way, I find myself just out there, lingering nothing really going on. Or at work I feel like I am just spinning my wheels surfing OT.

6. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

I can relate to this somewhat. I spend entirely too much time on the pc, so many other thigns I could be doing. :wtc:

7. mikeeb13

mikeeb13 New Member

i can relate to this... I spend too much time on the computer getting nothing done. Check this, check that, see what's on OT, look on ebay, check some away messages, and then just look around till one of those updates.

...I'm wasting myself away....

8. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

Speaking from personal experience, I was a computer junkie for years. I first got a computer when I was 4, learnt to touch type...and so, when I discovered newsgroups and forums 10 years later, I was away.

I have no doubt that it's arguable that my grades suffered as a consequence of talking on forums until the early hours - but then, I always think that had I not been on the computer, I would've wasted my time elsewhere - it's not likely that I'd have hit the books. I'm intelligent but I'm not someone who can sit and study. That's how I get by in exams - I rely on my quick thinking to get me around it all.

Anyway. I felt like I was wasting my life at times - I went travelling for 3 months over the other side of the world and managed without the net then but when I came back, I fell straight back into the routines you all talk about - download music, download shows, download films, talk on forums, check ebay, check e-mail and then go around in a cycle and start all over again.

...and then I met someone who I dated and at first, it was amazing. Initially I resented being offline quite so much (I'm in a lot of fast moving communities and if you're gone for a while, people soon forget you) but I loved doing new things, going to new places. We broke up and then I met someone else and by the end of last year, I'd pretty much stopped going on the internet and instead we spent every night together - we'd get in from work, get something to eat and drink beer/talk/play board games until bed.

...we've broken up and I've come back on the net and after being away for so long, it's quite fresh and novel to be back online - and now part of me feels that I was wasting my life drinking beer every night when on the net I invest time into building a website and making something that'll stay around for a long while.

But I don't forget how I felt when I was offline - that being online, making long posts that only get pruned a couple of months later...was a waste of time.

So it's about balance. Give yourself something to do - a fun task, that requires you to be offline - physically go somewhere without a computer, make it so that you can't log on. The torrents will be there a day later. Even a lot of the auctions will be too. The posts will be there for you to reply to. And then up it - get an additional activity on top of that.

But don't sweat it. It is a big deal and it's good to recognise that you feel that you've become too dependent...but it's likely you mess about so much when you're meant to be working because that's what everyone does - it's not just computer dependency - if you're not one to naturally crack on, you're likely to fill the time you should spend studying doing other things anyway, even if you do log off!

9. jdw

jdw New Member

man am I glad I'm not the only one that's worried about it being an addiction...

I do the exact same thing. Surf 3 or 4 small car club forms with no new posts for hours, then every once and a while I head to a couple other ones. I waste hours upon hours doing this, then end up only sleeping a few hours at night - then I end up sleeping through the day, just to do it all again the next day/night.

10. PoliticalPirate

PoliticalPirate New Member

I'm addicted to www.Fark.com been going to that site almsot every day since 9/11 when I found it.

I've tried to quit, but anytime I get near a computer with free time and nothing else todo... I cave to my addiction.

Not really that bad but its like 1-2 hours a day.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Same here, but any time I find my social life improving I find that I stray from the computer a lot. Try being around friends more, making new friends if yours are too busy, etc. Do something exciting and you'll see yourself move farther away from it. My time on the comp has been ridiculous lately. I'm going to get a job soon and summer courses at my CC start in a few weeks so I'll be taking those as I want to transfer to a university asap, plus I just really enjoy school.

I hope this helps. I know it seems to simple, but trust me it should work.

12. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

yeah, i'm pretty addicted. i'm on from when i get home from work, 9pm, will about 3am everynight.
    during the day, i'll be on until i goto work.

it doesn't really prevent me from doing anything, i still get work done and i can step away from the computer whenever

when i notice my grades slipping, i usually give up the computer for an entire week...it's tough, but it works, then i slowly transition back into using it