Computer acting weird after move

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SQLee, Aug 3, 2004.

1. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

Okay, so about a month ago I moved out of my parents house and into an apartment. Ever since I've gotten here, my computer has been weird. First of all, I have a M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard I use to record my guitar and vocals, and once I set the PC up here, it didnt' recognize that the sound card was even there. I didn't feel like fussing with it, so I used onboard sound for the time being. Then it took me weeks to get the wireless internet card to work, and now that I've tried to reinstall the drivers to the soundcard, and physically reinstall it, and even move it into a different PCI slot, it still won't recognize it! What gives? I think something may have happened to the motherboard, and that majorly sucks! :hs: Any ideas? I really need this soundcard to work, I have to record my music damnit! ARGHHH!

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

It does sound like some damage may have occured. Make sure when you reinstall the drivers for the soundcard you've completely UNINSTALLED first and done a reboot.

Best bet is to uninstall drivers, turn off comp., remove card, start comp., let it realize there is no more card, turn off comp., install card, start comp., install drivers.

Also - I assume you know but make sure that your M-Audio card is set is the Default sound device.

3. SQLee

SQLee The OTer That Cares™

I tried that half-assed, I'll try it again though. Well I know to set it, but the thing is...it doesn't even come up as an option, like I said, the computer doesn't even see it at all.

4. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Hmm - sometimes they are a bit picky with having things done in a particular order. Try the *right* way of uninstall-reinstall and see if it gives you any luck. (I too do the typical half-assed method of reinstall often - you're in good company. :big grin: )