CompTIA Security+ vs Server+ certification

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by s2k, May 4, 2008.

1. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

which one to take?

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

what are you trying to accomplish? What kind of job are you looking to get?

3. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

get some experience. experience > * > certs

4. Mike99TA

Mike99TA I don't have anything clever to put here right now

This...all the jobs I've worked at where either I was the one doing the hiring or the IT manager was really knowledgeable, we used to joke about people with Certifications on their resume. A lot of times it made us less likely to interview them (seemed like most people that put certifications on their resume were substituting them for knowedge or experience - not good).

Anyway, if you absolutely want to get one do it but don't expect it to increase your pay at all or your chances to find a job.

5. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

i agree with the experience > certificate, but the certificate helps get the foot in the door to gain the experience

you are more likely to get hire with no experience + certificate than no experience + no certificate, even if its a shit job

everyone gotta start somewhere

6. s2k

s2k OT Supporter

in the process of getting my A+ and Net+ within the next month, finishing my undergrad in MIS soon, not sure exactly what i'll be doing, but looking into the net/sys admin area

7. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

The biggest question is who will be looking at the resume's first, HR or someone in IT. If it's HR, the more letters the better, if it's someone in IT, list something with experience.

If you're looking network side, check out the cisco certs as well, CCNA to start, then there's a couple of different ways to go.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

get your certs, but make sure you put more effort into learning the topic than just getting enough to pass the test. a cert on its own is a worthless piece of material if you ask me. i've interviewed and passed on countless people with their certs who think that being able to pass a test means anything when it comes to getting a job or proving you know anything. all it ever did for me is open up a specific set of questions for a person that i may not have had otherwise. get a cert in network security? i'll make sure to put together a bunch of questions that you should know and kick you out the door when you couldn't answer any of them.

EDIT: by the way, i'm not trying to sound harsh. i'm just trying to state the facts. i've been responsible for hiring people for years and have worked in the IT industry for almost 13 years. there are TONS of people out there passing tests and coming in claiming to know something. there are so many that most certs are worthless. i hired a girl at my last job for an entry level intern position. i did it because she had some experience that she could refer to. she built her own PC, helped work on her family's computers, shit like that and she could answer questions on the topics. you just have to know how to fit your non-professional experience in to help you with that very first job in the industry.

9. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter