Comprehensive web design tips/tutorials/etc

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jayrod, Jan 15, 2004.

1. jayrod

jayrod Lurker extraordinaire...

I'm looking for some advice, websites, etc regarding all aspects of web design.

I'd like to learn some effective methods for data archival (past posts, pictures, etc), link management, and techniques for building a scalable, flexible website.

I'm looking more for theory and "best-practices," and less for technical examples

any input?

2. jayrod

so what you're implying is that no one should ever ask a question again, ever, because www.google.com exists?

thanks for coming out though, cheif.

3. No, I'm implying that you are coming off as damn lazy, and asking for a lot. Can you disagree?

4. jayrod

Absolutely.

You have no idea how much previous searching I have done before posting this question. Your assumption that I'm lazy is made in complete ignorance of the reality of the situation.

Additionally, I'm not asking for someone to post all web design technique and theory in one post. Instead, I'm asking for some links that people have found to be usefull in their own personal experience.

It's called efficiency, my friend. Why spend countless hours wading through millions of pages returned by google when people more talented than I may have already collected some tried and true resources that they may be willing to share?

I do hope that attempting to berate me on the internet has made you feel like a bigger person, however. I'm gald I could contribute to your sefl-esteem building. :big grin:

5. reread your last post pal. sounds like you're asking for someone to teach you in ADDITION to pointing you in the right direction.

6. here, I'll do ya a favor.

most web design is evolutionary. you gotta have experience to build on. sure, there are various guidelines, tips, best practices, but in the end, building an app or designing a site depends mostly on your prior experience.

7. frinky23

frinky23 Bangle Sackrider

Apple has a page dedicated to helping you make sure your site works well with all browsers and platforms, as well as giving some good advice on making your html code as easy to work with and render as possible.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/bestwebdev.html

8. Ractoon

Ractoon Shibumi in progress...

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sorry, there's too many aspects to web design to successfully answer your question. In fact, your question is a little too broad.

There's books and then there's google. You're too vague in your statement to help us much. Based on OS, web server, language used, experience level, and time will determine what methods are actually effective.

To generically address your question though, proper normalized database design is a huge plus to performance. Writing code which is organized yet performs great is important too. Then you have the aspect of hardware and bandwidth which are factors as well (of course, the more of both the better, but to prevent you from going broke, you need to define a limit).

Best practices really comes from experience and reviews, unless you have someone to mentor you or you found a kick ass book(s). I have almost 10 years of web coding experience and I like to think I know some of the tricks to what is considered "best-practices" (I've paid my dues and have made some royal mistakes and learned from them). To just spill the beans doesn't make sense (or cents :) ) when I have clients that pay for my experience and best-practices so they get a great site. I don't need you to walking off with MY experiences to go make a buck without reimbursement to me or anyone else on this board.

Now don't go thinking I'm here to be a pain in your ass. I'm here to help folks out. But not on the level that you're requesting. Spoon feeding people information for the sake of their benefit is not why we are here. If you have more specific problems or questions, or even just want to have your code or your site reviewed, then thats perfectly fine - please post and there will be many people here who will be able to help give you input and feedback.

10. My thoughts exactly, only worded a little nicer ;)

11. fatlip

fatlip Transcendence Into The Peripheral

12. links AND advice ...

and when I provided a link, he got crabby :dunno: