Composite Video to Ethernet recommendations?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by OFI, Mar 18, 2009.

1. OFI

OFI New Member

Posted this in the IT crew thread but got no love :hs:

Anyone got any experience with composite video to ethernet?

Currently using one of these DVTel units http://www.dvtel.com/products/edge-devices/encoders-decoders and they fucking suck. Shit is huge, expensive and can only send one video source per pair.

Looking for something a bit better really, more video sources the merrier.

Any recommendations? :x:

2. Chris

Chris New Member

I know at my old job we used a set of video to ethernet converts to provide video to a display on the other side of the building.

Thats pretty much all I know about the system, I didnt have anything to do with it. I know its a whole lot cheaper than running HDMI that far. The display seemed good enough, you couldnt tell anything wrong with it.

It was a fairly small box, not like what you posted. It did not have power over ethernet, I remember that.

3. jmann

jmann New Member

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So, are you basically looking for a KVM terminal that uses Ethernet cable (but not necessarily a standard protocol) to transmit keyboard, mouse, and video? If so, look for KVMs specifically.

5. OFI

OFI New Member

Sorry should have been clearer.

Basically the current system consists of an encoder and decoder attached to a network.

The encoder takes a composite video input, and sends it out over the network to the decoder. The encoder/decoders can be telnet'd into and configured (IPs, encoding bitrate, overlays)

So it's not just passing a video signal over ethernet cables :)

Edit: These guys do similar over priced solutions too http://www.svideo.com/video2ip.html

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009