Components and Subwoofers for my car

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Leathal, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Leathal

Leathal Zio will eat you for breakfast

Hay guys

I'm picking up some stuff for my car this Thursday, and I have a few questions.

I plan on picking up a pair of Infinity Kappa 6.5 Components for my front speakers. Are they recommended or is there something at a comparable price that's better?

I'm also getting one 12 in. IDMax subwoofer since you people think it's the shit. I saw some decent deals on eBay, unopened and sealed package. Of course, since they aren't authorized dealers there is no warranty. Is this necessarily a bad thing?

Stuff I Already Have
    • Pioneer DEH-P9200R HU
    • Infinity Kappa 63.3i coaxials (back speakers)
    • JBL 1200.1 sub amp
    • Random 200 watt speaker amp (brand is escaping me right now)
    • Monster cable all around
    • Generic 1.5 farad capacitor

The IDMax will run on the JBL right?
    Also, are there any reputable sites you can recommend that don't charge out the ass like Crutchfield? (I had a site go out of business after I returned a sub for repair, so I was :Owned: )

Thanks guys! :bigthumb:

2. 04

04 Guest

I would reccomend buying from an authorized dealer.

The IDMAX will run fine on the JBL.

3. Leathal

Any suggestions for crossovers?

I have a stock 6.5 in the front, although it's not really 6.5. (Seems a little smaller)

Cheapest I could find the IDMAX 12 incher was 339.95 on SoundDomain. If anyone knows another online retailer (not Ebay or anything) with better prices hit me up.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Or you could look into a different brand. Elemental Designs E12A is only $295 and will sound just as good and get just as loud as the IDMAX, and it looks better IMO.

5. 04

04 Guest

The JBL and other amplifier probably already have crossovers built in.

6. Leathal

My bad, I said crossovers for some reason. I meant components.

I've never dealt with real component speakers before, just the "stick-on" kind. I'm gonna have to drill some holes to mount them as well as to run the wiring right?

I have the skill to do it, just curious as to what is involved.

7. 04

04 Guest

How much do you want to spend, maximum on the speakers? If you don't want to cut holes for the tweeter, you can use a high quality coaxial speaker too.

8. GSteg

GSteg Member

I would highly recommend buying the IDMAX at Sounddomain because of warranty issue. You may save about $30 or so at a non-authorized dealer, but if the coil gets misaligned and needs to be re-aligned, ID will charge you some bucks to repair it, unless you know how to fix it.

The coil tends to rub a lot if not taken care of, so the warranty is definitely worth it.

If you want a super low distortion Sound quality driver, the W7 takes the cake. :big grin: But of your you have made up your mind on the IDMAX. :p

One more thing, becareful with the JBL and the idmax. The idmax has a small coil, so it's going to be hard for ti to dissipate heat when sending 1000+ watts.