Component Video Cables - Which brand to buy?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Tills, Nov 19, 2005.

1. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I went out and grabbed Monster Video 3's from CompUSA (long story about why I went there) for 100 each but I will be taking them back due to horrible customer service. I will use them when the system arrives on Monday until I buy the same (and return those) or I buy better cables.

Question is should I buy the same cables?

I found online the M500's for 78.50 and the M1000's for 129 each. They are 2meters in length...not sure if silver coating over copper is worth an additional40 bucks.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

http://www.bdcable.com/component-video-cable.htm

I approve this company because when you click more info you get:

We hand-cut and assemble every Subwoofer Cable using only Canare tooling. This assures you that they're done right. We then test every cable after assembly and then again before it goes out. We want to make sure your cable arrives in working order! No surprises. We're so sure you'll be impressed with their performance that we offer a complete, unconditional return privilege. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, just return the cables within 30 days and we'll refund your purchase price in full.
    Below are the exact components we use to build this cable. No secrets here... we want you to know that we only use the very best.

Followed by a breakdown of parts

basically its a company that puts together materials made by Canare: http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=2B02BAB5-3048-7098-AF3C194AA4F7387A

You can find further information regarding materials on the Canare site.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2005
  3. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I would just get some inexpensive ones off of Ebay.

4. SilverJettaGLX

SilverJettaGLX OT Supporter

5. Harry V. Gina

Harry V. Gina How did your family do in Katrina?

:bigthumb:

I love BJC. They are well made, ship fast, and have awesome customer service. Just be warned that the cables can be a little on the buky side.

6. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I know that this is shielded cable, however is there any risk of inductance or interference if I buy too large (Length) a cable and have to wrap it around itself (using a big circumference) for cable management?

Reason I am asking is bdcable have 5 component cable in 15 foot lengths for 30 bucks on sale.

7. hypnosmurf

hypnosmurf blue member OT Supporter

Just go to walmart or radio shack and get a good cheap shielded wires. Almost all my wire are Radio shack gold series and don't have any interference. The few monster cables I was suckered into buying felt very cheap and not very durable.

8. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

For some reason I can't see spending 10 bucks on radio shack cables for an 11 grand system.

9. hypnosmurf

My component video cables cost about $40 @ radio shack. They have a gold connections and a heavy jacket, but If you want to throw your money away on a product that's over price because of marketing so be it.

10. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

I am not looking to throw my money away. I am looking for a high quality cable that will do very well in my new system but is neither hindering my performance nor overkill when you compare price to the "benefits" of the cable.

When I think of Radio Shack, high quality products don't come to mind.

11. hypnosmurf

Cables are about the only good thing that comes to my mind when I think of radio shack.

Here's a pic of some old radio shack gold series wires I own. I promise they're a stronger cable then any monster cable I've ever owned

[​IMG]

12. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i have radioshack cables as well, they get the job done, but theyre nowhere near built as heavy as other stuff

to me getting better cables is just peace of mind, its the psychological effect they have, you feel a lot better if u spend some extra cash on cables then if u cheap out

and Tills, i also suggest in the future to get some bass traps and other room acoustical treatments

reusable and you can get some nice looking ones as well
    not to mention they can really make your room sound better

13. Tills

Tills Lets Go Flyers

Just point me down the path and I will walk it ;)

14. Ronin

Ronin Guest

15. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

Those radio shack cables also become loose over time and can come off the tv/dvd/receiver whatever. I like the monster cables b/c they have those cut locking tips. You need to twist them clockwise to take them on and off unless you want to rip out your rca plug. The only cables I've used were monster and tributary(sp?) cables. I haven't tried any online cables but the ones mentioned in this thread seem good enough for me to try out.

16. LOUDSYSTEM

LOUDSYSTEM New Member

Monster M series cables > any recomendations said so far in this thread :hs:

17. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the price of those are pathetically gay

i will accept monster as a viable alternative when I see a TV playing the exact same thing next to another identical TV and the only difference is cables

18. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Buy something that has quality connectors (so they won't wear out) and good construction with shielding (obviously). Past that, have fun buying into the cable marketing scheme. The ONLY reason why I don't buy radioshack cables is because the connectors don't feel sturdy and the cables are generally not flexible enough for me. Just because you have an $11K system, which while it is a lot of money is really not that much compared to some people if you are including video and video, doesn't mean you need to buy $500 cables. Go ahead, buy real expensive ones, buy radioshack ones, have your SO swap them without telling you which ones are connected and see if you can tell a difference.

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

The SO should swap them on a random day in a given week as he listens to the same CD each day at the same time. He will just have to not pay attention to the cable colors

20. veonake

whoa whoa whoa, get your objectivity out of this discussion, it isn't welcome in a serious cable debate.

21. Ronin

Ronin Guest

:bowrofl:

22. johnson

johnson New Member

23. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

24. veonake

I don't think I'll be buying cables from a place that says things like "
    [FONT="Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica]This cable will inject new life into your system", or "[/FONT][FONT="Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica]This cable uses the fantastic sounding Eichmann Bullet Plugs", or "[/FONT][FONT="Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica]The sound is very detailed and open with amazingly deep and tight bass for a cable of this price". Or puts things in their cables called "[/FONT][FONT="Trebuchet MS", Arial, Helvetica]We then add a Large Bybee Quantum Purifier to these already fantastic sounding cables."

Sorry. Fuck spending $125 for 1.5 feet of cable that won't sound any different than a $10 cable.
    [/FONT]

25. itr452

itr452 VTEC motherfucker, GOT ANY?

bybees don't make a difference?
    okay...... and eichmanns don't perform better than WBT's?
    get your ears checked

The bolders will definately sound better than your so called $10 cables, but not $115 better.

For the DIY types, check out john risch's stuff on www.audioasylum.com and you'll have decent sounding shit for a good price. Try it, there's NOTHING to lose.