Complete server-side Shoutcast Control?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DMClark, Mar 25, 2006.

1. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

I am having a hard time finding out the information about shoutcast I’m looking for. I’ll give a basic run down on the situation

This is for a college class project. We have a server being donated by a local company we are currently using to construct a website and shoutcast station for a possible school online streaming radio station.

The main question is getting everything on the web server.

So far I have found plenty of web control panels for the shoutcast servers themselves, but still needing winamp on a computer to send to it.

What I’m looking for is complete control on the server. Shoutcast server, along with the mp3s and play lists. We have control of what can be installed on the server, not just FTP access. We really don’t have the viable option to have winamp playing on someone’s computer right now for it to play. In the future, it might be an option but not right now.

PHP control scripts or some program you can open up on a computer, connect to the server, than close would all work.. Is there one that’ll work or maybe even a combination of programs?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I assume something like www.pandora.com would work, where the shoutcast client is a control within a webpage?

I read this at the shoutcast support page, it embeds Windows Media Player into a webpage and uses that to play the shoutcast. The user still must have Windows Media Player installed on the machine, but it is installed by default, so unless your school removes it, you should be okay:

Code:
    <OBJECT id=MediaPlayer type=application/x-oleobject height=44 width=190 classid='CLSID:6BF52A52-394A-11D3-B153-00C04F79FAA6standby="Loading' components...? Player Media Windows Microsoft>
    <PARAM NAME="URL" VALUE="http://yourip:yourport/">
    <PARAM NAME="rate" VALUE="1">
    <PARAM NAME="balance" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="currentPosition" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="defaultFrame" VALUE="">
    <PARAM NAME="playCount" VALUE="1">
    <PARAM NAME="autoStart" VALUE="-1">
    <PARAM NAME="currentMarker" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="invokeURLs" VALUE="-1">
    <PARAM NAME="baseURL" VALUE="">
    <PARAM NAME="volume" VALUE="50">
    <PARAM NAME="mute" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="uiMode" VALUE="mini">
    <PARAM NAME="stretchToFit" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="windowlessVideo" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="enabled" VALUE="-1">
    <PARAM NAME="enableContextMenu" VALUE="-1">
    <PARAM NAME="fullScreen" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="SAMIStyle" VALUE="">
    <PARAM NAME="SAMILang" VALUE="">
    <PARAM NAME="SAMIFilename" VALUE="">
    <PARAM NAME="captioningID" VALUE="">
    <PARAM NAME="enableErrorDialogs" VALUE="0">
    <PARAM NAME="_cx" VALUE="5027">
    <PARAM NAME="_cy" VALUE="1164">
    </OBJECT>

3. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

Not really what I'm looking for.

Think of it this way. Normally as I understand, you run a shoutcast server and then run winamp on your computer w/ a plugin and then send it sends your music to the server.

What I want is for all of that to be on the server. I don't want to have to run winamp on one computer and then have it send to the server. I want the mp3s to be on the server. No winamp in the picture.

Could be a program that connects to the server, or a php control script ont he server. But will work so that more than one person from different places can go in and chance playlists and needed.

4. m2e

m2e OT Supporter

contact Nickos or Fuct. (with a dot at the end of his name)

they run online radio stations but im not sure if they use a method you would be intrested in :dunno:

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

To answer your question, *no*. You cannot have an audio stream broadcast without SOME form of a client accepting the stream. This can be in the way of a web-based object, such as an embeded WMP object, or in a full-fledged application, such as Winamp... But you cannot get around the requirement of something client-side to actually receive, and process the stream.

6. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

He wants the client that creates the stream on the server side, not a stream without a client.

Yes that is possible. What OS? If its Windows then all you have to do is run winamp, shoutcast server, and remote desktop on the machine and you are good to go.

If its *nix. Then look at something like http://sqlshout.sourceforge.net/

Search google for linux shoutcast source

7. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

yeah, I just found that. Trying to sort through them all, see what still works, see what doesn't, and so on.

8. DMClark

DMClark Active Member

So far most of the stuff I have found hasn't been updated since 2002. bleh.