COMPLETE n00b to car audio

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by VanCandy, Nov 4, 2003.

1. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

ok, first off im 15, yes very young for OT i guess. So, i recently got my first car. a 1999 chevy lumina. Now, i just want a cd player for it, but i know NOTHING about car audio... i mean nothing. Now i know i will get made fun of and all, just becuase i just registered and an a dumb newbie and all, but i dont care. I just want to learn a little about this stuff before i go and buy something.

Here are some pics of my current head unit in there. I dont know if these pics will help or not though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

now, maybe one of you nice, knowledgeable people out there can give me a summary of what i need to know about this stuff. Maybe a site i can go to to learn more. And what i will need to know about what to look for in getting a cd player.

Thanks in advance!

2. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Guest

the radio you got is a 1 1/2 din sized u can either buy a 1 din radio and a dash kit to make it fit or a 1 1/2 din radio it might cost more but it would be a nice fit. also chevy has a small antenna adapter for the radio, so u would need a small to standard size for the radio to come in, also a wiring harness for your type of vehicle.. www.crutchfield.com has a link for "WHAT FITS MY CAR" punch in your year, make and model and click wut fits and it will give u everything that u need..

hope it helped.

3. SPECulator

SPECulator Guest

thats a sweet ruler!! Yeah it looks like a single DIN so any normal deck w ill fit fine without a mounting kit. Just buy a wiring harness to make your life a little easier. Crutchfield is running an awesome deal on the Alpine 7995 ($299) DEF. worth it for that price. Other good sites to check around are

thezeb.com
    ikesound.com
    hookedontronics.com

or your local CCity or other electronics store place

Good luck

4. VanCandy

VanCandy New Member

so one of you says 1.5 DIN and one says only 1..... so which is it?

but as he said i guess the smaller will fit either way

5. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

If you dont know anything about car audio, do NOT get the Alpine CDA7995. No internal amp, and it has more adjustments on the cd player than your entire car probably does.

Your opening is a 1.5 din. But you can buy a 1 din and utilize a dash kit for the car.

Do yourself a favor and go to a local car audio place, and ask to see the dash kit for your car. Look up Circuit City or Best Buy. Usually if you buy the parts you would have to pay for anyway, they wont charge any labor to put the CD player in.

HTH

6. sLpFhaWK

sLpFhaWK Guest

i have an alpine cda 7897 deck w/ a phantom face (xl) but its a 1 din used for 300 *retails for 600* let me know.. pics can be found on crutchfield. has an internal amp and plays mp3 cds..

7. 93ex

93ex New Member

yeah gm chrysler fit isnt single din. moutning kit for a single din or gm/chrysler fit HU, antenna adapter and wiring harness.

the rest is up to your budget and features you want