Competitors to NAD S170 Preamp & S250 amp?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, May 15, 2002.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

I've listened to this setup in a shop and really liked the sound-- very clean, transparent, and smooth sound. To be honest, it's the first preamp & amp combo I've listened to, so I'm wondering what competitors there are in its price range as far as a preamp/5 channel amp setup.

2. TenSteel

The S170 preamp is around $3500 retail, and the S250 preamp is about $2500 retail.

More info about them here: http://www.nadelectronics.com/SilverSeries.html

3. 04

04 Guest

:eek: That is a lot to be spending on electronics! I hope your speakers are up to snuff! If you dont mind me asking, what speakers are you using? Remember, your speakers are going to make the biggest difference in sound out of all the components that you have, IMHO you should spend most of your money on them. Just a suggestion....

4. Nosamk

Nosamk Guest

Personally I'd look into Aragon components

http://www.mondialdesigns.com/

Dunno if the quality has changed since Klipsch bought them....hopefully not.

5. TenSteel

When I do get this setup, I plan on building some Focal Utopia speakers myself. For the mains and surrounds in the setup, I'm considering an 8" utopia woofer, Audiom 6" midrange, and Raven R1.0 ribbon tweeters. The center channel will probably have a couple of shielded utopia 6" midbasses with a shieled ESG ribbon tweet. Subwoofer will probably be a seperately powered Image Dyanamics ID Max (haven't decided on sealed or ported yet). IMO, that kind of setup is deserving of a good preamp and amp like these. :big grin: The cost of all the speakers including the crossover parts would be around $3k.

BTW, I can get the NAD stuff at basically dealer cost since I used to work at an audio store, which is one of the major factors in this purchasing decision. Some of the other brands you and grumpybb mentioned I can also get at dealer cost as well ... I need go do some listening. :big grin:

The guys I used to work with have been in the business for a long time. Everyone at the store can't stop raving about the NAD pieces in question. The boss is even using them in his recording studio. They all claim that the preamp and amp pretty much dominate for sound quality, build quality, and value in it's price range (especially for those lucky enough for dealer prices :big grin: )

6. 04

04 Guest

That sounds like some really nice speakers that you will be building. Who is designing the crossover for them, or is it a kit design you are building?

As for using the IDmax sub for subwoofer duties, I would really not reccomend them for home use. They have a rather high free air resonance at 27hz, which IMHO is too high for high performance subbass. I have never heard of anyone using one in a home audio/theater environment either. Im assuming this system is going to be both for home theater and music right? If so, you might want a driver with more max output for home theater if you like to listen at high levels and have a big room. Adire audio is supposed to be coming out with a new 15" woofer that has over 30mm one way linear xmax. It also has a much flatter BL curve than conventional underhung or overhung designs. Could be really good for your situation. Shouldnt cost much more than 300 dollars either. Or the Parts Express new Titanic MK2 is supposed to be a good contender as well. Or you could get a Blueprint 03 series driver such as in my avatar, but a driver such as this needs parametric equilization to correct its frequency response. Let me know if you need any more help or suggestions.

7. TenSteel

I'll be getting the speakers from e-speakers.com. They send custom xover parts depending upon the speakers you choose and the enclosures you plan on putting them in (that's what the man said over the phone, anyway). It's not really a kit, but they do send recommended box designs along with the speakers. At any rate, I can always call up Orca distributing (U.S. Focal distributor) and get all the enclosure reccomendations I need. And yes, the setup will be for HT and music.

BTW, the S250 does 125w x 5 and 200w x 2 in stereo. Do you think that's adequate power for the speakers? I've heard rumors that utopias tend to be pretty power hungry ...

8. 04

04 Guest

Cool, so e-speakers.com designed the crossover? The reason I ask is that you could have the best drivers in the world, but with a lousy crossover they will be no better than a cheap pair of speakers. The crossover plays A HUGE part of the system design, it can make cheap drivers sound really good, or great drivers sound poor. Im sure e-speakers designed a good one though :big grin: I was just worried that you planned on designing your own, and I did not know your knowledge on the matter.

As for the amplifier, that should be plenty unless you like to listen at VERY HIGH volumes. Even so, I doubt the speakers could handle much more power than that for extended periods of time. You should be fine. Remember that doubling your amplifier power only gives you a 3dB increase in output.

9. TenSteel

Just called up Andre at e-speakers and he said they use Axon parts. To loosely quote him "We would never sell you cheap xover parts to go with the kind of speakers we sell." I've heard of Axon before, supposedly they're quite good. (I have very little experience with building xovers, and I'm not familiar with the different brands of caps, resistors, and inductors.)

I forgot about the amp power/higher volume rule, thanks for reminding me :). He also said that the 125w per side will be fine, he even recommended making the main speakers with two of the Utopia 8's because the audiom midranges and the ribbon tweets have such a high efficiency. Then I asked him again if he was sure I'd have enough power and he said "oh yeah, those will get really loud!" I'm stoked! Can't wait to start this project! Now all I need is the cash ... :sad2:

Last edited: May 20, 2002