GUN competition krew, rate my shooting (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by spankaveli, May 19, 2009.

1. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

few vids from a recent idpa event. i know i'm not concealing because, well, fuck it, no one else was.

also, i know i'm a fat fuck. we discussed this in the thread where i posted pics from this event. no, i don't care if you think i'm a fat fuck.

anyway...

[y]MfSCsZO-jeI[/y]
    [y]18F5Nv-YhxA[/y]
    [y]p9sIpob7VX4[/y]

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

you're a big fella, mister

3. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I bet he sweats just doing nothing :rofl:

4. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

oh, for fuck's sake.
    i don't know why I always forget all of wmd crew is also broly/supermodel crew.

5. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Looks good except you're shooting with the wrong hand :fawk:

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

I get that from time to time.

7. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

:rofl:

came earlier than expected, i was waiting for etromba

8. Small Block LSX

Small Block LSX BMW | N54 | LSX | Gun | PS3 | Parent | Night CREW

You shoot about as slow as you probably run. :o

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

That was my first time shooting an IDPA match and I wanted to make sure I was getting hits since the targets are different from the IPSC targets.

I was 8th out of 23 competitors in SSP that day so I don't think I did too bad.

10. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

The first reload on the last clip was pretty smooth.

11. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Just trying to get a feel for what I need to work on.

My first uspsa 3 classifiers were C and then two B scores respectively so I guess I'm doing "okay" for just starting out but obviously I'd like to improve myself.

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Looks OK to me. You could be faster of course but as long as your getting good hits it is what it is. Stance looks OK, grip looks ok, gun tracks ok. Don't see much wrong there. You could clean up some of your movement from position to position. In the first video you kind of shuffled your feet alot, did not look like you had the sweet spots figured out. Some call this gamer shit but if you can figure out the minimum number of positions the faster you can transition from target to target. It is actually quite practical because your teaching you body how to flow from position to position, economy of movement, that bruce lee type shit.

On your turn ( 3rd video) snap that head around and spot that first target. I would cheat and start by looking down at spot I'm going to plant my foot on the pivot. I know when the foot hits that spot that I am safe to go for my gun and I am going to be in the best position to engage (aka sweet spot). So on the "make ready" I spot where my foot goes on the turn, on the start signal I snap my head to spot the first target. When done right my eyes hit the target before I completed the turn. during the turn get you hand on that gun as soon as you can. Even if it gets there before your foot hits or you spot the target. Do not draw until you plant your foot or you know your clear of the 180.

Your target transitions are kind of on the slow side.Some of it is because your slightly out of position, thus shuffling your feet, some of it is you have not programed in your mind where the targets are exactly, some of it is just needing some more high level practice. You can make up for some of the eye hand, muscle memory stuff by doing the gamer stuff. Visualize the stage in your head in as much detail as possible before your run. Get to the point where you can run it in your head in real time. Visualize what you need to see, how the gun tracks in recoil, SEEING the front sight on target then lifting lift strait up in recoil thus calling your shots. Which target your gun goes dry on and anticipating it and thus going for the reload. Feeling your arms hands and shoulders relax thus no tension which is the secret for speed on the reload. Looking the mag into the magwell, hitting that slide release, snapping your eyes onto target. Visualize the whole thing. When you finish the stage your squad mates tell you nice run, RO calls all targets clean.

13. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

Sweet peaches in heavy syrup!

14. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

well fuck. having started the fat shit I'm actually pretty sorry about it now. you actually contribute. many of the things you need to work on are the things I need to work on. I am thus improved by you putting yourself out there. you certainly did not deserve the treatment you got from me, even if it is OT.

cliffs: sometimes my posts lack honor.

15. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

BAN!

16. AB13

AB13 New Member

Airgunning, no concealment garment and shooting boxes, may as well have been an IPSC event. :)

1st vid: KEEP THE GUN UP! Learn to keep your gun in the "shooters box". Every time you drop your gun, and then have to bring it back up to acquire a sight picture you lose .5-1 seconds. Also, standing realods = Bad. Learn how to do a Tac reload. You should have been doing a tac reload while on the move so you don't have to do it "static".

On your 3rd vid, I would have gamed the stage hard. At the signal, in stead of crowding the cover to the right, if you would have turned, drawn and taken a step "back" you could have seen both sides. There were 2 papers on either side, shooting SSP you could have shot the right side (4 shots) then the left side ( 4shots ) THEN taken your reload while advancing to the port finishing up the rest of the targets.

What this would have done is eliminated a reload and a stop. You stopped 3 times there, I would have only have stopped 2 times. And instead of doing a 2 reloads, I would have only had to do 1. Every time you "stop" and plant, you lose 2-3 seconds. Every reload costs you 1-2 seconds. That's 5 seconds you lost by not chosing your shooting positions and reloads correctly.

Also, if they didn't mandate a shooting position, I would have found my way further in the back of the box, so all I would have had to do is turn and draw.

You need to work on your turn and draw, I know you were just trying to be "safe" but you lost quite a bit of time on that as well. This should be on your agenda during dry fire. Your hand should at least be on the backstrap during the turn. And like Yar said learn to "snap" your had to the target. My body follows my head.

The key to being fast, is learning how to minimize unnecessary movement. And learning how to get into and out of a shooting position. You could have saved some time by shooting "into" a position as well. Here's an example of shooting "into" position, and then performing a tac reload on the move. Fastforward to :40 seconds mark. You have to learn to stick 2 things here, where your "outside foot" is going to be at the shooting position, and where your gun should be indexed at the target as you come "into" position. Positioning that outside foot is paramount in IDPA, because this can make or break your time at a shooting position. If you get a bad plant, you will end up doing what you did in the first vid, which is the "shuffle". As I "round counted" the stage, I notice an advantage by performing a tac reload while moving to the next target as opposed to doing a slide lock reload and doing a standing reload = bad. It's all of these little things that add up and make a huge difference.

[y]
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZH-qCLnzco&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oZH-qCLnzco&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    [/y]

Keep at it, you look smooth and consistent, and that's how you win matches. If you need any more critique would be happy to help.

ab

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  17. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Thanks for the great advise guys. I really appreciate it.

etromba,:h5:

18. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

On that last stage, there was a triangular barrier and I honestly don't remember if you could see both sets of targets on either side from the furthermost edge of the triangle. That's definitely something I'll know to pay attention to next time.

19. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I doubt you could see both arrays from the back of the shooting area. That would be major poor stage design.

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Better than I can do. Thanks for posting the video.

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:cool:

22. pyite

pyite Member

I concur. I havent ever been able to practice shooting like that.

I need to.

Some poor bastard got shot at the fucking farmers market 5 minutes from my house.

23. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

Can't tell how well you're shooting because I can't see the targets. What I do see and has probably already been stated is that you're moving and shooting way to slow. I could understand if you were trying to make sure all your shots were on target but speed or a lack of it is your biggest enemy.

24. Radicus

Radicus OT Supporter

If you can practice double-taps and tactical reloads you can do well in IDPA.

25. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Honestly most of the IDPA guys are slooooow by uspsa/ipsc standards. I don't shoot idpa because it irks me how low the round count is and how close the targets are. Not enough shooting, not enough of a challenge. Then you have the whole tactical wanabe crowd.