competing in powerlifting

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by UCLA throwing, Sep 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UCLA throwing

UCLA throwing New Member

how does one eventually compete in powerlifting? do i have to find a local meet....what weight class...what do i have to take...what lifts to i do (what if i only wanna do bench or squat).....someone please inform me....i think i wanna pursue it

2. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

powerliftingwatch.com has a pretty good listing. weight class probably depends on how much you weigh :o

you have to take test, dnp, t3, CPT, and SCO to be competitive at all, unfortunately, but such is the sport

generally, you can pick the type of competition you want to do (full, push/pull, or a single lift category)

also, make sure to confirm that the meet is actually on before you go, don't ask how I found this out :o

3. UCLA throwing

UCLA throwing New Member

you lost me when you started saying you have to take a test...im in the SHW class...is there an age class...?

4. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

oh jesus... i'd love to get you in a shirt. you'd be good for 600+ after a couple sessions in a shirt.

www.powerliftingwatch.com

look for a local PL gym and email them and train with em for a bit. its better to have someone that can show you the ropes.

Also check www.elitefts.com and start reading the articles, its a Fort Knox of knowledge.

5. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

he was joking

test = testosterone injection

you would probably be SHW

ages vary. Junior class is 20-23 and its men's classes after that

6. Huge Evil Robot

ignore the entire 2nd line, I was just saying it before any other smartass could. Every fed has different rules, some have pretty big differences, especially in gear. I would talk to people around you or check that site to find upcoming meets, then check out the rules for whatever fed is running it.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than I can weigh in on this.

7. CPop

CPop New Member

This isn't true. I know lots of guys that are sugar free and are very competitive. It's more common than you think -lots of guys are clean and do well. Plus most of the big feds have amateur and non tested divisions. Obviously lift appropriately. Edit: I guess you were being sarcastic. I missed it until you wrote your second response.

To the original poster; for your first meet unless you're within 2lbs of a weightclass, just go in wherever your weight is at. Usually it's either squat/bench/deadlift, just bench, or sometimes it's a bench/deadlift meet.

You need to make sure you understand the rules, which are different for each federation. In short the squats need to be parallel, the bench needs to be paused and the deadlift can't hitch -but really you will need to understand the rules.

I recommend anyone who is thinking about it give a competition a try. It's a lot of fun and you'll find that your training will take a huge step up when you are actively training for something. Good luck.

8. UCLA throwing

UCLA throwing New Member

im in f-ball season now...our bowl games end like last week of december...im planning on starting right after that...no one in freakin LA cares about powerlifting...its all about looks i guess...im pumped though...ill be in the junior class then...i maxed out again couple of weeks ago...i was feeling pumped so i did 415 for 7...but i maxed at 485...kinda dissapointing but we dont lift much during f0otball season...im down to buy shirts and start training though

9. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Is there a powerlifting meet that doesnt do bench press :o

10. Huge Evil Robot

When you find it, tell me :mamoru:

11. Guitar_fool

Guitar_fool Guest

gay. apprently there isnt any powerlifting meets anywhere in oregon :wtc: and only one powerlifting gym.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.