Competely wipe out a hard drive?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by baldyguy, Jan 9, 2005.

1. baldyguy

baldyguy Deep, but not Profound

Hello everyone,

I want to sell a hard drive to my friend, but before I do that, I want to be able to wipe out my hard drive clean. I know that formatting the hard drive doesn't really do the job, I heard that I need to overwrite all of the bytes with 0's.

Is there a program or a method that I can use to do this? Thank you all in advance!

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

there is nothing short of physically damaging the drive that will leave it in a usable state but prevent him from accessing your data.

even with writing zeros to every bit on the drive, he will be able to recover much of your data if he wants to...

of course, this raises the question : Do you trust him? And what do you have on there that is so important?

3. Juvenall

Juvenall What Would Juvie Do?

..and even then, it may not be enough. A good data recovery service can even pull data off a smashed drive. That's why, as the rumor goes, MI6 (British Intelligence) actually grindes used hard drives into a powder form and stores the left over in a secure vault.

4. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

:hsugh: He's selling it to a friend. Even if a format wasn't enough to satisfy your security concerns, I would imagine a zero fill would be more than adequate.

5. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

Exactly and if you're that worried that he's going to put the effort into getting the data off of it after that, don't sell it to him.

Eraser is good software that will get your drive clean.