Comparison: My NSX and FD

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BATMANs, Nov 26, 2007.

1. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Powertrain: The FD’s powerband is more flat. The NSX is more linear. I prefer a more flat power band. HP and TQ comes on early in the FD at 2k RPMs when the first turbo kicks in. This is a turbo system that is suited for everyday usage for both stop and go city driving as well as freeway flying. Both cars have nice sounding engines and exhaust notes. The FD sounds more like a Turbine with all the turbos spooling and rotory engine. The NSX has a more exotic (with the right exhaust system) note with the engine behind the driver/passenger and the pulses. FD powerplant’s have a soft spot for poor tuning, low octane combination that may warrant trips for a rebuild. The NSX is reliable, but $ to HP ratio makes the FD (or just about any turbo’d cars) shine better. Advantage FD

Drivetrain: I’ve always been impressed with Honda’s tranny. Easy to use and reliable. The NSX’s shifter is shorter than the FD. The FD tends to stick when the tranny is heat soaked. Advantage NSX.

Handling & Braking: FD stops shorter and quicker. Since the front can except larger tires than the NSX and the FD has more of a 50/50 weight distribution, it does a good job in not only stopping in a straight line, but on turns as well. The FD’s steering is superb. It’s just so responsive and feels like a go-cart or a shark turning on its meal. Advantage FD.

Chassis: Both cars have stiff chassis. The FD seems to be a little stiffer. The FD is a lighter chassis and does with less expensive steel. Advantage FD.

Build quality & fit/finish: NSX executes a very well balance of luxury and sports in one package. It has more sound deadening than the FD. Advantage NSX

Ingress/Egress: The FD is easier since it’s not as low and the door sill is narrower. Advantage FD.

Seating/Ergonomics: I like the NSX seats better for 2 reasons. It’s larger and there are shoulder supports. Advantage NSX
    NSX has more room at the dash, but the FD has more head room. FD has more leg room for the driver’s side yet the NSX is better for the passenger side. The FD’s center console is tilted towards the driver. Even the arm rest is directed towards the driver, while the NSX displays no bias. The FD’s arm rest is wider than the NSX. TIE

Instrument panel & Visibility: I’ve always liked cars that have the Tach in the middle. Nice and large. The FD is no exception. The oil and temp gauges are a little larger. What I didn’t like about the NSX is that the tach and speed are equal in size and side by side. The smaller gauges are spread equally on both sides. My eyes have to swing back and forth to get a quick vital stats. I like the important stuff to start in the center, like the FD’s tach and then the smaller gauges like oil, temp to be located in a group either left or right of the tach. Advantage FD.
    The FD executes this well. Both cars have very similar visibility. The NSX is better in the front, but the FD is better in the rear. TIE

Climate Control: FD has none. Not only does the NSX have one; it’s very easy to use and accurate. Advantage NSX.

Sound System: Both have decent Bose system. The Bass on the FD sounds deeper, but the NSX sounds tighter. TIE

Storage: The NSX trunk is deeper and wider. The FD is longer from front to back and the divider can be removed to use the space in the cockpit. In the cockpit the FD has a driver’s side storage on the door and 2 bins behind both seats. The NSX has neither, but does have storage in the armrest that is notably larger than the FD’s driver side bin. Advantage FD.

Fuel Economy: FD gets low 20’s on the freeway cruising without boosting, which is about the same as my NSX in stop and go driving. NSX gets mid – high 20’s on the freeway. Advantage NSX.

Modification economics: Advantage FD.

Sex appeal: This parts subjective. I like the FD’s face the best and it’s organic lines which seems timeless (people often think it’s a few years old). I like the NSX rear-mid-engine shape. The car is wider and lower. Rear end is more muscular looking. NSX looks more like an Italian Exotic, where the FD is more like a Vette or Viper. Advantage NSX

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

sick of throwback whips, eh?

those are MURDERED OUT!

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So you own both of those cars and can afford the maintenance/modification costs, and you've been here for four years, and you haven't yet seen fit to drop a few bucks in Fazle's tip jar?

Nice taste in cars, though. If you get killed driving one, can I have the other?

4. RedBeauty84ZX

RedBeauty84ZX New Member

Now just add a 300ZX/Supra/GTR and finish off your collection :)

5. BATMANs

BATMANs New Member

I like the 300ZX, but the interior is alot like the NSX, but cheaper feeling.

Supra and GTR are just fugly.

Next on the list would be a GTO LS2 for carrying 4 people around.

6. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

i like your taste. r32 gtr would be my choice of gtr though.

7. Allanlambo

Allanlambo New Member

Ive always felt the NSX had one of the best transmissions ever.

8. wabash9000

wabash9000 Active Member

so throw an nsx body kit on the fd and install some climate control.

9. bjonesy77

bjonesy77 New Member

thats cute, matching cars. lol

but really. those are some pretty slick cars. Do you ahve a DD other than those or are you just ballin all the time?

10. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

This thread makes me want to buy an FD

11. Vicious-S

Vicious-S New Member

honda makes some of the best trannies in the biz.

12. DINide

DINide New Member

13. REDandBLACKpack

REDandBLACKpack Active Member

very very nice. i envy you. i love the stealth look. i agree you should a 300zx tt.

14. Rich

Rich New Member

LS1 in the FD and you have an 11 second car.

15. Flying Brick

Flying Brick OT Supporter

That's a tough one. I personally favor the FD, but they're both extremely good looking. :bowdown:

16. k0in b4hd

k0in b4hd New Member

nsx is cool cause its mid-engine, other than that its an overpiced slow piece of shit

17. NSX

NSX OT Supporter

Yup, that about does it for me.

18. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I don't know what I was looking for, but I found this. What makes you think the NSX is slow? Overpriced? are looking at getting an 02-05? You can get an older one for mid to high 20's. Have driven one before? or are you just bench racing here?

As for getting the rest of the collection, if I had the $$$ , I would do it as well.

300ZX (not 2+2)
    GT-R, I think I would go with R33, though i do like R34.
    Supra , wingless please.

19. JoeDirte

JoeDirte OT Supporter

my underwear is sticking to my genitals

20. redfred18t

redfred18t New Member

what he said

21. wufei

wufei New Member

the fuck do you do for a living

22. Bernout

Bernout OT Supporter

Interesting... ~$40k worth of cars and you're wondering about income... :dunno:

23. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

the man has incredible taste

24. Mitchj

Mitchj OT Supporter

I think i'd end up taking the NSX

I've just never loved the FD's... and that NSX looks so impressive from the outside.

I wouldn't buy either though.

25. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

S2000 tansmission > NSX *snick* *snick* on every shift.