Comparing Solaris systems?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by trouphaz, Dec 2, 2008.

1. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

To to Solaris admins, do you use any automated processes to track differences in your servers? I have a 6-node cluster that I'd like to audit to verify that they are identical from patches installed to packages and package versions.

Right now, I'm just manually doing a pkginfo -x and a showrev -p on these systems and doing a diff, but that's pretty tedious. I'm thinking it can be made easier with a perl script, but I don't know perl from a hole in the ground.

The output of pkginfo -x is like this:
    SMCgtk gtk+
    (sparc) 1.2.10

Now, if one system has it installed and the other doesn't, it'll be fine because both lines will show up. But, if both systems have the package installed, but each has a different version, the first line will match with a diff and only the difference in version shows up. Then, I have to manually look at the file to see what that particular version line is for.

Example. This is the output of the diff between two servers:
    > SMClintl libintl
    > (sparc) 3.4.0
    52c54
    < (sparc) 3.0.4
    ---
    > (sparc) 3.0.3

So, I know that SMClintl is not installed on the first server, but I don't know what package is 3.0.4 on server 2, but 3.0.3 on server 1.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

we send explorers to sun every month and they compare/analyze it for us.

all cron'd. ftp-d to sun. not sure if that's manual or cron'd since i don't keep track of that

i take you or someone doesn't apply the recommended patches on a scheduled basis?

on a side note, i'm at a confernce now and it's safe to say that sun will be dead in 2-3 years. no one knows wtf they are doing, what their focus is. not even sun.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I tend to agree, sadly. Its a MAJOR pain in the ass to buy a single server from SUN, and half the time the website doesn't work.

Hopefully they will GPL Solaris/ZFS in the process? Wishful thinking I guess.

4. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

Our resellers don't even know what the fuck SUN is selling. They have no more low end sparcs and their starting mid-range boxes are at least 2x the cost of a comparable x86 machine AT edu pricing. And like you said, is hard to even buy stuff from them. Especially in the summer when the whole company shuts down after their fiscal year. They have so many layers of middle sales management it is absolutely sick.

Tier 1 ISV sparc OS support is depleteing and moving over to Linux and Windows. Solaris used to be #1 platform a couple years ago for large enterprise pig of an app, where vendors would claim that Solaris is their gold platform. Now, not so much.

JAVA seems to be their last horrah. ZFS is being hindered by Netapp, who are just getting bigger and bigger. Sol_x86 needs more customer support. And sadly, Sun seems like they are doing nothing about it.

They are not poor. They still have a couple bil in the bank, but when that depletes, we'll see major changes. Analysts figure in 2 years there will be major announcements. Maybe turn into a sole software company. Sad to see Sparc and potentially StorageTek go away. Both are solid products. Sun is just being priced and managed by dumbasses.

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

ah, the issue wasn't patches. it was someone installing different shit on different servers which really sucks with solaris zones. a friend is writing some perl script for me to compare the output of "pkginfo -x" so that should help in the short term.

as far as Sun goes, they're doing some really interesting stuff with their CoolThreads platform and LDOMs, but i don't think it is enough. as far as being a software company, i'm really tired of them. they make a good OS and have contributed some amazing software over the years including ZFS very recently. what they seem to suck at though is the add on software to really make it solid. look at VMWare. i think Solaris LDOMs have a ton of potential over VMWare, but i doubt Sun will ever make an interface as usable as what VMWare has put together. shit, if Solaris x86 was better supported, i'd drop sparc in a heartbeat for the potential of VMWare virtual machines on x86.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

i continue to buy sparc machines for hardware refreshes, but not for new apps/db's.

any new app, goes directly to rh or oul. right now we're evaluating oracle rac linux vs solaris. if we choose linux, i'd say 99% of our solaris machines will be gone.

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Coolthreads are indeed extremely impressive. Just too fucking expensive.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Too expensive? A 2u box with performance to beat
    Enterprise class systems, insane amounts of resources for virtual machines and great power usage? They are cheap beyond belief. We replaced a pair of 15ks with a few of them. Too bad they aren't x86 though. These would be insane for vmware. A 2u, 16 core, 128gb system could replace a datacenter of small to midsized windows and Linux servers.

9. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Right, but I don't want to commit that much cash to a server. I would rather buy multiple cheap commodity hardware boxes, as a strategy, and build my system so that it will scale horizontally one box at a time. This is a very common desire, to be able to use commodity hardware.

In fact, I don't want to own any servers ever again. I want Coolthreads hardware to be commodity so that cloud providers will use it and I can leverage them. But you get my point... I see that stuff makes sense for data centers running existing big fat applications, but it just doesn't make sense to architect new shit for it.

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

well, CoolThreads servers are good for Solaris shops. if you can run Solaris 10, and have some mid-range systems or old high end systems, you can replace big, power hungry systems with a small system that is very cheap for the horsepower. now, for an individual or even small company doing development work, this doesn't really make sense. your worries aren't going to be data center space and power and cooling. your worries are more along the lines of just being able to buy a system to do your development on.

as far as building new shit for it, they are no different than any other Solaris system. so, the poor developers can buy a sparc workstation to do their development on and release it for the world if they so desire.

just remember that what your talking about isn't really the average Sun customer. your needs would be better suited to Linux. for an enterprise environment though, i'd still take Solaris over Linux in almost every case. shit, what does Linux offer for enterprise that Solaris doesn't? the only benefit Linux has is the ability to run on x86 hardware. it isn't any cheaper. i'd rather have sparc servers running Solaris, VxVM, VCS and Oracle than anything else.