Compaq Laptops

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by bbwarrior, Aug 16, 2004.

1. bbwarrior

bbwarrior New Member

Anyone here have any experience with Compaq laptops in general? How's their build and reliability. I'm in Hong Kong so the model that i'm interested in isn't available in NA. But here's the link anyways.

http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/hk_en/11_29_64_2596_PD257PA.html

I'll be mainly using it at home as a desktop replacement. But I'll take it out to work occasionally.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

I'm on a Presario R3000Z right now. I've had no problems with it and have had it on 24/7 for all but a few days since I got it two months ago.

3. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

I've had two Presario's and they were great.. still use one to this day (Presario 1200, it's a P2 oldie.. :mamoru: )

My brother just bought a Presario 2100, it's a great laptop for ~1K...

4. bbwarrior

bbwarrior New Member

Well, sounds good. A few of my computer nerd friends also say Compaq is a good brand. Guess it's a go

5. squink

squink New Member

i also have and use the presario 2100 right now and its a good laptop for 1k its awesome for 1k and it dose most of the things i do but its not a complete replacement for a desktop since there are lot of things that can be done on the desktop. forexample some of the games such as doom3 and what not. also the proceesor isnt always at the max it some times slows down to cool it and things like that but the bottom line is for a 1k its a decent laptop

6. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

That can be fixed in power management options I believe.

7. chuckywang

chuckywang Guest

I have a Compaq Armada m700. It's alright, but not that great.

8. nebawong

nebawong New Member

looks good... HD is a little slow though. Whats the price by the way?

9. bbwarrior

bbwarrior New Member

The store is willing to sell it to me for 9800 HKD. The US to HKD exchange rate is 7.79. So that works out to 1258 USD.

This vid card on this thing uses shared memory. I'm not going to play any games or anything. But I will watch movies on it both on this comp and connected to my LCD TV. Is setting the memory on the vid card at 32 megs good enough?

Oh yeah, I also get a free upgrade to 512 megs ram

10. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I work for a paving company and we bought a Compaq for our guys in the shop to use for diagnostics. We've had it about a year, and other than some minor scratches on the case it has no problems.

11. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Should be a nice laptop. Only downside to a Presario here in the states is the support. Might be different in HK. The hardware is actually pretty decent. I have various commercial Compaq notebooks, prolly had 12 in the past 3 years and they have all been great.

12. bbwarrior

bbwarrior New Member

Thanks for all the reply guys. Been all positive so far so I guess reliablity isn't really an issue with Compaq. However, I'm still debating whether to get a Dell or a Compaq. The price for a Dell is marginally better then Compaq, but I've heard of a few negatives regarding Dell's reliability. What do you guys think?

I'm just going to use it for stuff like spreadsheet and internet. Not gonna do any gaming or that kind of thing.