A&P Compact Flash vs xD

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Balzak, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Balzak

Balzak New Member

I'm trying to decide which card i should buy. I can either get an xD or CF card. I have some questions:

1) Which media is faster? how fast is an Xd, and how fast is a compact flash?
    2) I've seen the CF Ultra and CF type II. what are they, and are they the same thing?
    3) Is there any point in getting a microdrive CF card, because i think i've seen 1GB and 2GB solid state CF cards?

2. Balzak

Balzak New Member

My fujifulm s7000 accepts both CF and xD

3. Balzak

Balzak New Member

anyone know anything about memory cards?

4. mojito

mojito New Member

CF Ultra II or Extreme will be faster than XD. XD will be faster than the typical CF card. CF is a lot cheepr than XD. It is also a more common card, so there are more readers, printers etc that will take it.

Just get a CF Ultra II from SanDisk. Best bang for the buck

5. mojito

mojito New Member

stay away from microdrives, get a solid state CF first, and get a portable harddrive or cd burner. You can get a 20gb harddrive with a CF or universal card reader on it for under 200 when a 1 or 2 gig card could cost that much

6. Balzak

Balzak New Member

Thanks a lot

7. fairlite

fairlite New Member

My opinion is CF is better than XD, look up info on XD and you will find that they will degrade over time and become useless. Something to do with the why the memory is made. The REAL advantage to XD is really just size since CFII cards and blow away the speeds of XD depending on the ones you buy. Stay away from Microdriveds, they eat batteries and if the camera gets banged the right way the Microdrives heads will crash destroying your pictures and most likly itself.