comp resets randomly when gaming

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SuPa, Apr 1, 2007.

1. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

I dont undertsand this.. I have all the drivers updated

basically when running quake 4 or company of hero's my comp will decide that its time to reboot.. it does this at all graphics levels from lowest to highest.. im wondering if it could be a faulty power supply

its a dual core 1.8 with 2 gigs of ram video card is a geforce 7900 gs. OS is XP if that matters

thanks for any help

2. Pospodo

Pospodo came for the pron but stayed for teh lulz

you overclocked at all?

3. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

nope

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Sounds like an overheating problem. Track your critical temps (CPU, chipset, Video) and see if any of them are getting really high when you game.

5. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

ditto. turn those fans up!

6. deusexaethera

Ehh...air is a pretty poor conductor of heat (if it conducted heat well, there would be no wind outside) so just speeding up the fans isn't going to do much -- I'm not saying it won't accomplish anything at all, but it won't be a night/day difference.

Since air is such a poor conductor of heat, the most important thing is to make sure that there is an abundant supply of cool air coming in from outside, whether it's forced in using fans or whether it diffuses in to fill a vacuum created by exhaust fans. (I prefer exhaust fans, because it's easier to make sure that hot air is being expelled from the case instead of drifting around inside it.)

The second most important thing is to make sure that the heatsinks are clean and properly gooped. Dust on a heatsink will destroy its ability to radiate heat, because the dust will trap a thin layer of stagnant air right on the surface of the heatsink, and all the cool airflow in the world won't be able to take the heat away properly. Likewise, a heatsink that is poorly attached, perhaps using "thermal tape" or a thin sheet of lead foil instead of good heatsink grease, will not absorb nearly as much heat as it should be able to. The first thing I do when I buy anything with a heatsink pre-attached is to pry it off, clean off the cheap heatsink goop (and the manufacturing oil left over from cutting the heatsink), and reattach it using a THIN layer of Arctic Silver 5.

7. Spinkick

Spinkick Active Member

get a huge fan and open up the case. THis is just to test to make sure its heat. If not, look into disabling sound, then testing, and so on.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

memtest86+, prime95... Eliminate memory, cpu, and heat as your concerns. If those pass, focus on graphics.

9. deusexaethera

That's true; some games don't like some video cards, or they may require specific versions of drivers for some video cards. That COULD be the issue, but I'd think the reboots would be more predictable if that were the case.

My money's still on heat; CPU and RAM faults don't usually wait for high-stress usage before they cause trouble.

10. SuPa

SuPa I ruin Naders fun

I pulled the side off and put a fan to it. both drawing out the air or forcing it in, the comp still rebooted itself.. Im gonna try the sound card thing now

thanks for the input so far