Comp lockup when USB device is plugged in

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Zak8022, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

This does not happen all the time... but seems to be happening more and more. Whenever i plug in a USB device (camera, thumbdrive, ipod, etc) my computer will lock up. And i mean a hard lock... where i have to hold in the power to turn it off, and then restart it.

After i restart it, and Windows comes back up, i can sucessfully plug in whatever USB thinger i was tryin to before... with no ill effects.

I have a feeling its something to do with a short somewhere, or something of that nature... but i dont know crap about that sorta thing. This is a homemade computer... specs below.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AMD Athlon XP 3200+
    PcChips W30 Mobo
    DiabloTek 550W PSU
    1GB generic RAM
    1 120GB HD
    2 250 HDs
    GeForce FX 5700 GPU

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I'd start with looking for a driver related issue. Have you un-installed/re-installed your USB drivers?

3. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

I have heard something about Windows having trouble with their drivers. Try going to their website and dl a fix.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Thats a negative... i'll try that. I have no idea what drivers i even have... i'll look into that.

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Happens to my GF's computer as well. Might be a grounding problem with your motherboard. You're inserting a USB cable directly into the mobo, if either is not properly grounded it can short out. Just a guess though.

A more practical answer is probably a driver conflict. I plug in the camera to my PC all the time and it's never happened.

6. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

Another common cause:

Forgetting to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" button before you yank a device:

[​IMG]

Usually, you can get away with this a few times. But the more you do it, as far as I can tell, it creates a cumulative error in Winblows. Pretty soon, almost any time you try and plug in or remove a USB device, especially a "Mass Storage Device" (most cameras etc. count as this - windows just reads the memory stick), Winblows suffers a terminal brain fart and packs it in for a nap.

My Old Man is really good at making a valiant effort to turn his $2G Media Center PC into a paper weight by doing this. A Lot.