comp->linksys b->linksys g->dsl

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 01000101, Jan 14, 2004.

1. 01000101

01000101 New Member

im trying to get one linksys router to defer to another, and seem to be having issues. ive got a computer in the gameroom plugged into a wireless b, and i want it to be able to go through that one, to the wirelss g, and through that to the modem, and get an ip addy through all that.

filesharing between the computers would be helpful, but if its a different issue, this one is more important.

and then after that, im going to try to do the same thing with an imac =(

thanks in advance

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

so..... let me get this straight. You have a wireless-b PCI card, and a wireless-g router? Which linksys router model, and which ROMBIOS flash version are you using?

3. 01000101

01000101 New Member

the computer has onboard LAN, and its cat5'd to the wireless b router. i want the wireless b to talk to the wireless g. the wireless g is plugged into the dsl modem. i also have a wireless g pci card, and a wirless b pcimcia card that i have talking to the wireless g router.

i want the wireless b router to act as a pci card. i want the computer in the gameroom to have internet access, but i dont want my two wireless cards to be confused by the second wireless router.

i dont have the model numbers, or the version numbers. ill look when i get back home

4. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

I'm not positive, but I don't think you can do that.

5. 01000101

01000101 New Member

why not?

6. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

What your trying to do is use the B Router as a Wireless Bridge which can be useful in alot of ways. ;) It all depends on whether or not both of your WAPs have the ability to act as a Bridge. Some have what is called Bridge Mode. If yours does not, then it will not happen. You might look to see if the manufacturer has a Firmware Update that adds that feature but most cheaper ones don't...

Your also throwing the whole B G thing in there too. In Bridge Mode, alot of WAP's only like to talk to a like WAP. For a G WAP to "talk" to a B card or WAP, it has to change from OFDM modulation to the ol' QPSK modulation that B uses. So basically, you may be slowing the entire network back down to B speeds, whenever the Bridge is active, if you can get it to work. That may be a problem for you also. Course all of the manufacturers make B and G bridges now too... I see a Linksys G Router/Bridge on E-Bay for $65 right now...

Good luck.