Comp gives out..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by randomjoker, Feb 3, 2004.

1. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Machine specs:
    CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ = 1669MHz
    RAM: 640mb SDRAM
    VIDEO: Gateway Ev700/GeForce 4 Mx440 (64mb)
    HD: 20 GB
    ===

Now that you know the specs heres what the problem is.. I can be on my computer for about a couple hours or so then suddenly is just shuts off and I hear the HD just unspinning. I mean there probably is another logical reason than what I got, but I think it is my HD crapping out on me. It has been formatted several times (guesstimating(new word) around 7 to 8 times). It usually happens when I leave my computer idle or when I am playing 'Counter-Strike'. I have checked to see if it is scheduled to power off after a certian amount of time, and the answer is its not. I have tried many things to fix this including updating my BIOS. Its just becoming to much of a pest lately and its time to get it fixed. This computer has always gave me problems, I bought it when I was younger and did all the upgrades my self. There is not a part in the computer besides the floppy and HD that came with it. So being how old the HD is and the sound I hear when the malfunction occurs gives me a hint/urge that it is the HD.

I wanna hear some other peoples opinions on the situation.

Thanks,
    Kyle

2. shastaisforwinners

shastaisforwinners OT Supporter

how hot is your processor running?

3. diranged

diranged New Member

I'd put money on it that its NOT your hard drive. Instead most likely your CPU is overheating or your power supply is going bad. I know you say you upgraded everything -- but does that include the power supply?

Next time itdoes this, boot it RIGHT Back up and go into the BIOS and check your CPU temperature -- tell us how high it is.

4. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Powersupply is new upgraded as well. I forgot to mention that I have had overheating problems before. Let me reboot and I will tell you the temperatures.

5. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Just checked, I don't know what the 'ideal' temperatures are so here are mine..

CPU Temp - 74*C/165*F
    System Temp - 33*C/91*F

I also grabbed the fan's speed.

CPU - 4200 RPM
    System - Brings up 0 RPM don't know what the problem is I see it spinning when I opened my case.

6. diranged

diranged New Member

geezus... 74C? Thats prety god damned high. I'd look into getting a new CPU fan/thermal greese. You DID use THERMAL grease when you put the CPU fan on right?

7. MP

MP New Member

definitly overheating. You should be happy your system is turning off otherwise you'de have a dead chip. Go get a $30 cpu fan / heatsink. Apply super thin layer of thermal grease, see how that works. $30 > a dead cpu.

8. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Okay I have replaced the fan once before, I will do it again. Maybe I can just use this as an excuse to getting money for another PC project. :)

Thanks

9. MP

MP New Member

you never answered diranged's question.

did you use thermal grease? how much?

10. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Opps... and no I didn't I think I will go get some.

11. MP

MP New Member

dude, gotta put on some thermal grease. VERY important.

when you put it on make sure you put only a few TINY drops on and then take a card or something and spread it evenly over the back of the cpu. Make sure you don't spill any over the edges. Wouldn't want that stuff on the pins.

12. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Will it make a drastic result? How much if so?

13. MP

MP New Member

14. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Alright I got something called, 'Heat Sink Compound'.

Says on the box: 'Provides heat transfer from semiconductors to heat sink.'

Says on the box (instructions): 'Use a thin coat of heat sink compound between the heat sink and semiconductor to enhance heat transfer. For best results, the heat sink and semiconductor should have a tight mechanical bond.'

Q: Will this do the job?

15. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Its not the best, probably some shitty generic stuff, but still put that stuff on now! You're lucky you didnt kill your processor. And remember THIN LAYER!!!

16. randomjoker

randomjoker Guest

Solution: bad contact between heat sink and cpu.. CPU already had a 'thermal sticker' on it.