comp doesn't boot anymore - strange problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StretchNutz999, Sep 30, 2006.

1. StretchNutz999

StretchNutz999 New Member

I have a spare comp and it stopped working suddely. When you hit the power button, it powers up like it's trying to boot, but nothing happens. The lights blink on the cd roms, the hd light stays solid, and bizzare part is the cpu fan just goes right away into super-high speed mode. It starts blowing air like a mofo. There's no output to the monitor. What died? I just bought a new chip for it about a month ago and it was working fine til recently.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

If it was working fine until recently, and you changed something recently, then my money is that the thing you changed is the problem.

Was it a NEW chip, or a "certified, pre-owned" chip? CPOs have an annoying tendency of getting slightly busted during removal and shipment, and then they work for a little while in their new machine until they heat and cool one too many times and kill themselves.

3. StretchNutz999

well actually it wasn't working until I bought the chip for it since my buddy sold me the rig without a chip in it... It was a new-in-box chip.

4. StretchNutz999

I know the cpu fan on high has got to be indicating something, the fan never used to blow this hard and I'm guessing the comp is maybe getting a (wrong) high-heat reading from somewhere and kicking the CPU fan on high?