community college classes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hookupz, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Hookupz

Hookupz DAT ASS

so my mom wants me to take some community college classes during my sr year and i was wondering what i should choose my options are

Computer Literacy
    Microsoft Office
    Pc Repair
    MS Project
    Computer Forensics
    Web Design & Development
    Web Developer Certificate
    Web Designer Certificate
    CCNA/CCNP
    JAVA/J2EE
    A+
    Oracle OCA & OCP Prep

any ideas if so thanks

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

stay away from all those computer literacy, office, web design type classes. that's all stuff you could learn in an hour of your own time.

i regret taking a web design class once, didn't learn anything and the credits count towards nothing...

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

A+ is decent, but you can learn that in a book

CCNA/CCNP is awesome to get into early, keep in mind that it will not be easy once you get into ccnp

4. popsnbeer

popsnbeer New Member

what do you want to major in once you graduate and go to college full time?

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I think you should choose someting that interests you... You'll have to make that decision.

Computer Forensics sounds cool IMO.

6. bovine

bovine New Member

Doubtful that any of those would transfer to a real university, so you shouldn't waste your time or money on them. Take core classes like calculus/physics/hist/govt/lit that will transfer as credit.

If you don't plan on attending a university, take whatever you want; just don't expect those classes to do you much good in the real world. The best you should expect is for them to get you interested in the subject and motivate you to self-study later to learn more.

7. dorkultra

the ccna/ccnp courses will transfer. i knew a few people who were still in highschool taking ccna courses with me at community college. my ccna courses transferred to university of akron

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Actually, a Microsoft Office class could be useful. It'll probably cover macros and Visual Basic for Applications and Excel formulas, which basic users never really learn but they're really helpful in an office environment.

9. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Before transferring back to University I was required to take a MS Office class to get my Associates degree. It was completely useless. I had to help the teacher out on numerous occasions.

Just an example of one of our exams (done on the book software):
    -We had to click on the minimize button
    -We had to copy a row
    -We had to open "My Computer"
    -We had to make an equation to add 2 absolute cells together

Honestly, MS Office courses are a huge waste of time/money. If you know how to read then you should be able to do anything within Excel (formula wise... they tell you what to do. Anything else can easily be picked up when needed on the internet). If you want to learn VBA then you need to take more than just a MS Office class, you need an actual programming class.

10. bovine

bovine New Member

What did they transfer as? Electives? I think it's a much safer bet to take core classes at a CC and transfer them over than to take specialized classes that may have fuck-all to do with your (as of yet undecided?) major.

I know I have zero electives in my engineering program and if I would have taken anything that didn't transfer directly in as a core class, it would have shown up as totally useless credits. Worse than useless, actually, because you get a monetary bonus at UT ECE if you complete your degree taking no more than 5 hours (I think) worth of classes that are extraneous to the program.

11. bovine

bovine New Member

You have unreasonably high expectations for a CC Office class. My mother-in-law took an Office class at a CC this semester and she knows dick regarding computers as she was a stay-at-home mom for 30 years. She said the course went slow, even for her. I flipped through her text and I can assure you that macros and VBA were quite beyond the scope of that class.

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

One of those three depending on what you want to do.

CCNA/CCNP if you want to do networking/sysadmin stuff
    Java/J2EE if you want top be a programmer
    Oracle if you want to be a DBA

13. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

You aren't taking those classes for university credit, you're taking them for the skillset you learn. Certifications, etc.

14. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

But I still think you'd be better off taking a core class, so you can take the computer classes sooner at your real uni.

15. CodeX

CodeX Guest

CCNA/CCNP or A+.... only classes worth anything in that whole list of garbage

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

But depending on what he wants to do - a certification could actually be a liability. It would for me. It screams 'technician' or 'programmer' instead of developer.

17. dorkultra

my bachelors degree required the ccna classes as a prereq to get into the ccnp classes. its computer information systems with cisco networking option

my associate degrees are for networking hardware and software, one is a business and the other is an applied science. it required ccna as course work

18. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

True enough. If he was doing the Cisco classes, though, it would be worthwhile. Tests are easy if you paid attention in class, and they help a bit with HR, etc.

A+ is a waste of a class. Buy a book, use your basic computer knowledge, study for a week, go take it. No reason to waste a semester and tuition on an A+ class.

The Oracle class is certainly a good one. DBAs make quite a bit of cash, and are in demand.

The Java class, the concepts of program development are far more important than the specifics, and the differences between Java and, say, C++ or C#, are very minimal if you understand the WHY of programming. Once you learn the HOW of an object oriented language, couple that with the why, and the how for other languages will be very simple to pick up.

19. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Well, I did say it could be useful.

The IS101 class I took freshman year covered more stuff than that, but then I guess it wasn't specifically called an MS Office course.

20. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

basically the only way it could be useful is by wasting his time.

21. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

The classes at college will be better, so take some motherfucking calculus or something or english I that will xfer.