MIL Commissioning info

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by LuckyHooker, Feb 3, 2010.

1. LuckyHooker

LuckyHooker New Member

Hi. I'm a senior in college, seriously thinking about commissioning. Both my parents were in the Air Force (my mom retired as an O4) and both told me to go the officer route. Beside that, it's something I want to do. I'm graduating this semester with a shitty GPA (prob about a 2.8), but I've been playing rugby for 6 semesters, so I'm hoping that helps make up for it...

I'd say I've done a good amount of research (as well as lurked The Barracks for awhile), and I'm interested in the Chemical Corps. I'll have a BS in Public Health, if that makes a difference.

I have a clean record (aside from a "drinking in public" ticket in NYC, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't show up on any records) and no drug use.

Basically, what I'm asking-

Any idea if I'm competitive?
    Is the Chemical Corps worth looking at?

Long term, I'm interested in Civil Affairs. I have an uncle who's an officer in the Special Forces, and he seems to like them. Plus, I'd get to grow a beard (from what he said). I have another friend who served in a Ranger Btn, who says I "look like a typical special forces guy." I'm not saying I'd like to go SF out of OCS, though it sounds like a cool thing to do if I stay in long enough.

I have some ROTC friends here at college who can set me up with recruiters, as well as a distant family friend who is a reserves recruiter.

Any ideas?

2. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Have you even tried to talk to a recruiter? Noone here can tell you if you are competitive since it changes on every board. The answers you'll get from any forum is no better than simply putting your package together and hopign for the best.

3. eu4ia

eu4ia Active Member

GPA really doesn't matter for getting into OCS for the Army as long as it is above the minimum (2.0 I think). At least this was the case when I was looking at OCS as a backup plan 2 years ago.

4. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Two options here...Spend about a year and half more in college and go through ROTC. Or graduate this spring and go to OCS.

A lot of my friends did the first, b/c they just relaxed that final year.

Go talk to the rotc instructor first, less overbearing.

Also, last time I heard OCS doesn't get a lot of choice in their branch. If you truly want Chem (you're dumb...), but put that as number one.

5. LuckyHooker

LuckyHooker New Member

Fair enough, no, I haven't.

This is what I was looking for.. why? Will I hate my life if I go Chem Corps? I'm having trouble finding out what they actually DO (the Chem Corps website doesn't give me much information that I understand). My other thoughts are to go infantry or armor.

6. shiba

shiba Active Member

Chem corp officers serves as gophers or the odd job officer at battalion.

7. cossack

cossack Resident thread killer

ding ding ding ding ding. we have a winner. chem corps officers are the coffee bitches.

8. Kafka

Kafka New Member

Hey man, in the same boat as you, tentatively planning on commissioning after school.

Special Affairs requires at least a 3-4 year commitment as officer in another branch as they only accept Captains or 1st Lieutenants designated for Captain promotion. So remember that you're going to go to basic, then ocs, then ait, and then you'll have to serve sometime before being promoted as well. If you want to be an officer in SF you might have to look pretty long term.

Civil Affairs is also a branch you can't just "join" right after OCS. It'll take some time.

Also, unless you went to certain schools and had certain majors, your branching at OCS will be based upon how "competitive" you are against the other candidates and a bit of luck. So you can't just "choose" your branch, you know what i mean? You'll get to indicate your preferences though so just make sure you put Chem at the top of your list. Your PT score is incredibly important though in determining your ranking.

Anyway, I'm kinda in the same boat as you and just learning myself so good luck and ya the best advice is really just to see a recruiter.

9. JSin

JSin New Member

This just changed (after I commissioned of course). Branches are OML based. They have a list of options and the #1 Soldier walks up and picks what he/she wants, and so on. There is a chance of CHEM not being a choice, or there being only 1 slot and someone else taking it, but it's not as completely arbitrary as it was before.

Recommend you check out ArmyOCS.com if you are really interested, tons of information over there.

10. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Chem officers may have had cool exciting jobs, working at Aberdeen, Detrick, or the aresenals playing with deadly ass shit back in the 40-60s. But that time has come and gone. Most of the time they go to infantry battalions, and then get put into infantry platoon leader slots.

So really, if you want chemical, just go infantry and get the pleasure of also tabbing out.

11. LuckyHooker

LuckyHooker New Member

I just took another look at the CM part of ArmyOCS.com, looks like a lot of people saying I'll probably be Staff Bitch.. for anyone else interested, I found this on that forum:
    http://www.army.mil/usapa/epubs/pdf/p600_3_74.pdf

It seems like everyone is telling me to talk to a recruiter, which I will. Thanks, everyone.

12. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Every officer will be staff at one point. You can't go from Platoon Leader, to XO, to CO, BN XO, to BN CO, to DEP BDE CDR, to BDE CDR, etc....

Doesn't work like that.

13. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

For most people. Several "Golden Boys" in the BCT's that didn't serve a lick of staff time until after commanding (twice) and then only after ILE or right before it when they were marking time.

14. JSin

JSin New Member

Everyone who is an officer will be a staff bitch*. The problem with CM is that you will be the USR officer, which is the worst job to have on staff. If you can make it to a Chemical company/battalion/brigade you will be great, but chances are you won't be able to. But officers don't do their branch work, they supervise, lead and design training for those in that branch, so the difference between branches is a lot less than people think.

*- unless you pop smoke at your 3 year ADSO

15. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

They are lucky, probably being "groomed" :rolleyes:

16. Gatsby

Gatsby New Member

Shouldn't have gone to advanced course, shouldn't have gone to advanced course, shouldn't have gone to advanced course. I cuse every day.

17. Kafka

Kafka New Member

how do i get "groomed" lol:mamoru:

18. RecklessYouth

RecklessYouth godamnlurker

literally every Chemo Ive met hates their life, nothing but USR, Memos, OPORDs, and generally being the S3's biatch.

FWIW, unless you are interested in combat arms, shoot for MI or Signal.

19. Kafka

Kafka New Member

tell me about being an officer in the signal branch?

20. tan koi

tan koi Guest

all of our signal officers do inventories, give/attend petty briefs, deal with ucmj, and coordinate FTX/MRXs... boring personnel administration shit up until captain from what i hear. i'm vary excite that i didn't choose the commissioning process.

21. kazimer

kazimer New Member

i am vary excite you didnt commission too :ugh:

i am in the signal captain's career course right now. i went functional area and have to attend my advanced course here. I was a corps of engineers officer before.

seems like there is a 50/50 split of signal officers that love their job vs the ones that absolutely hated everything about their jobs and the signal corps

since i never served as a regular signal officer i cannot say anything about the day-day.

i would tell anyone coming in to go combat arms first. the leadership opportunities and the way things work will carry you far in life. as i have come to learn, most of the fun begins at captain anyways :o

the officer personnell management program makes changing branches much easier now. this would be more along the lines of people going OCS since we dont get the option of branch detailing

there is no AIT if you are going the OCS route. It goes basic, OCS, officer's basic course, follow on schools, first duty assignment

AIT only gets thrown in if you are like a quadruple no-go in OCS and are not deemed officer material. then you serve as a non promotable E-4 at hte needs of the Army

22. MrRyan

of course

23. MrRyan

IT'S FUCKING AWESOME

24. JSin

JSin New Member

Are there any MI officers recommending people to go into MI? Or just people who had it high on their list and didn't get it?

25. Kafka

Kafka New Member

ahh, i didn't know the term for the officer's version of "ait" so i just said it. :o

thanks for the great advice