WEB Commission-based advertising offers -- what percentage should I charge?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tryfuhl, Jul 1, 2009.

1. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

I've had a few people from some communities offer me commissions on revenue if I put some advertising/affiliate, etc programs in place for them. What would be a fair percentage to ask for? Right now, the sites are making negligible money or only money from premium/subscription services.

I've never worked something like this on commission before so I'm not sure what to ask. I thought that 30pct might be fair, but worried that the owners might think that it sounds high. To me at first it does, but since the site would be going from no external revenue to (hopefully) to something higher, I don't think that it sounds unfair. Mostly I just don't know what a typical rate is. Also I don't want to start making them money and them go "oh hey don't need you anymore" so what should I put in place to combat that? Should I be the only one with full access to the campaigns and actually pay THEM the higher commission?

Has anybody done this on commission before or paid somebody else to? I'd like to speak with them about this before I really get anything going, because I don't want to find out that they're only willing to pay a small percentage after putting hours worth of research and effort into this.

Also, another question, if they already do subscriptions/premium material and I can prove a raise on average revenue on subscriptions should I ask for a share of that as well? Or just ask for a percentage of them anyways, as long as we're making money from the external revenue (or even not since I'd be trying anyways)? What might be a fair percentage on that? Since it's their site bringing in the subscribers to begin with, obviously this would be a lower percentage. 3%? 5%?

Please advise and thanks in advance!

2. tryfuhl

tryfuhl New Member

18 views and not an idea?