Commercial Wireless

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Jun 22, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Last year around Jan. a local company went bankrupt doing wireless because they swindled away their earnings on illegal things, drugs, gambling and other things and since went into hiding. Leaving behind all their equipment. They got tower access from the city by providing certain city officials with free wireless so they got off cheap. But the biggest mystery is where they actually got it from. I know it was from some where in st louis and it bounced off a repeater in another city some 40 miles away (supposidly) and its another 30 miles from there to here. But my wireless knowledge is somewhat limited; can you even broadcast a signal that far? And how expensive would it really be? Wireless is not as fast as a hard line obviously but doing some random surveying with people over the past year who come into the office still would like to have it. I haven't had anyone tell me no so far.

Lots of people would like to do away with DSL because they don't want a phone line but have to have it for DSL requirements. The cable company supposidly went bankrupt as well but still providing service somehow. Cell providers provide wireless of course but isn't cheap.

How far can wireless technically travel when it isn't sent out in a omni-directional pattern? Other red tape that I have to look into of course but I'm just curious mostly.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

yes. we regularly get signals to go 25+ miles, and I'm going to guess you're saying 30/40 miles on the road which would be WAY less as the beam flies.

for the equipment to shoot wireless 25 miles? rough guess.............less than $30k to get the signal 25+miles.

the real money comes in trying to get a signal the last mile (to individual homes). it's not as easy as setting up an omni antenna and giving people access.

3. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

I have 40k that is setting aside but something tells me that is barely going to cover it. I really would like to start from scratch and not use the equipment left behind from the old company. I had to look on the map to see how many miles it was actually lol (I drive it everyday for past 20 years tells you how much I pay attention to stuff) its 13 miles from this town to the next one.

So it's safe to assume they probably got a connection from a hard line out of that town somewhere. From St Louis to the town next to me is approx 49 miles, just mapped it out.

25 miles isn't really long enough :( Out here I would have to get towers atleast 600 feet tall and there is only one that exist out here that tall and its from an abandoned radio station. Rest of them are around 100-300 feet tall. Problem with the rural areas is the geographic location, some are down in valleys and some are so high up that they would be looking down at a tower instead.

Wireless is still limited to 54Mbps correct?

4. 7960

7960 New Member

that's just equipment. you also have to consider employees, renting service, renting/building tower space..........you asked how much the equipment was. if you really want to offer this as a service you're going to need to expect you'll have a monthly bill (that you have to pay) in the $15k/month range.

this other company went out of business for a reason.

a 600 foot tower is a couple hundred thousand to build, or $5k/$6k per month to rent (depending on a lot of shit).

at 25+ miles, wireless isn't going to be near 54mbps. as data rate increases, distance decreases.

* all $ figures are subject to HUGE variations depending on your local area. they might be half that if you're in montana, or 3x that if you're in SoCal.

5. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I'll vouch for the monthly costs of a tower like that. We agreed to allow Verizon a tower on our apartment property we own in the eastern suburbs - we get approx 8k a month for it.

6. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Need mo money :hsd: Thanks for the input

7. cp5184

cp5184 New Member

they're close enough for dsl but you need more then 25mi wireless range?
    no. 54Mb wireless is like 480Mb USB... a crock of steaming shit. you get about 10mb if you're lucky from 3 ft away. plus, wireless is shared. so take that 10Mb, share it with 100 people, and they each get about 100kb

8. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Oh I've considered the saturation issue, aside from operating costs thats probably one of the bigger grey areas. One of their towers was aprox two miles away I could barely pick up the signal. Most people had to get antennas on top of their house to grab the signal from them.