Commercial Quality Printers

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cassetti, May 16, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

I know this does not sound like the place to post - however this is not your normal kind of question related to printers.

I figured that since what i want more than likely is used by companys - this section might be appropriate.

I am very interested in art - and have found this fun way to produce huge graphics using any images on the computer - and they turn out very interesting and artistic.

The problem is however - that it was designed to be printed on regular paper - such as 8.5 by 11 sheets used here in america.

The issue - is that the script generates a PDF file that has the pages of graphics - which can then be printed using any printer - and have margins that can be left for special effects (to make the graphic look like it was printed on tiles ) or can be printed borderless (no margins)

The program allows for up to roughly 64 feet by 64 feet printouts when connected together (which is over 3400 pages i believe)

The problem is - when you print out a simple 48 page graphic - a whole black in cartridge for regular inkjet printers is consumed usually!!!!

I'm interested in knowing what printers are good for printing out simple round dots - but able to do it efficiently - and preferably able to print all the way to the sides of the page! - i would like to be able to print in color - but even with black and white graphics - it turns out nicely. - but using color would make more sense if i were trying to sell my designs.

I'm looking for input here - remember price is a concern - but performance and running costs is big issue.

Note - the reason i ask is because i know at where i work - we pritnt up brochures - using a printer by techtronix - its old - like 6 or 7 years old - but it uses wax bars - to print hiqh quality graphics - but it can not do zero margins - but the unit is REALLY coool - and i am wondering what that is called - or where i can find cheap units like that, that can print with zero margins.

thanks for your help guys!!!

- Mike

2. Hyudra

Hyudra New Member

i think if you turn off margins it'll print to the side of the page.

sounds like you need a laser jet printer.

3. cassetti

cassetti New Member

problem is - most laser printers i see don't list the specs on margin sizes - and not all can do borderless.