Comments on the Onkyo TX-SR505?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kit99bar, Jun 26, 2007.

1. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Sorry I am a complete noob to the home audio stuff.

Here is my info/questions:
    • I'm looking for something in the 200-300 range.
    • I only need 5.1 but this 7.1 should be ok right?
    • I also have some large klipse speakers and they have the "thick" wires. I think I need a receiver with the connectors like the back of this one also (with the screws). I dont think it'd fit in the small snap ones. is this right?

thanks so much for any help!

[​IMG]

http://www.onkyousa.com/model.cfm?class=Receiver&m=TX-SR505&p=i

2. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

not bad for the price point. What components are getting hooked up to it? The receiver will not decode audio through hdmi though, and I'm assuming it just does hdmi switching. So basically if you hookup an hdmi dvd player/ps3/360, you'll need a seperate audio cable such as optical or digi coax.

3. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

wow thank you for the information on that! So that is bad if one day in the future all devices only have an HDMI cable and no seperate audio out?
    For now I'll just be having some component video and an optical sound out.

Edit: putting this from another thread in here for future reference as a comparable one:
    http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product_Id=4112933&JRSource=shopzilla.datafeed.PAN+SAXR57K
    Does this one decode audio through HDMI?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2007
  4. amill94

amill94 OT Supporter

To be honest I don't know much about the panasonic receivers. From what I read on that site I can't tell you if it also decodes audio. I'd call panasonic or a retail store that carries them and ask.

The only downside to not having a receiver decode audio through hdmi is that you need to run 2 cables.....so you really aren't taking full advantage of using and hdmi cable. Other than that, it's fine.