SRS comment my friend made, im still upset over this and he apologized

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by quamen, Jul 5, 2009.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

I was out with a group of friends at a bar/restaurant about 3 weeks ago just relaxing and having a good time. One of my good friends, finally got a job that paid more than 8 bucks an hour. He actually got a job working for an electric company making over 20 dollars per hour. It has been a year, and all he does is still talk about how great his job is, and how much money he is making. While i own a small business and make just as much, he knows my job is very labor intensive and sometimes work slows down.

I have a truck that is very unique and nice which i had for the past 5 years and he always wants to buy it, but i dont want to ever sell it. In front of everyone he says something similar to, "when you run out of money, how about selling your truck to me for 2,000 dollars". I felt so degraded and like he is so much better than me, because of his job title and the fact he knows i love my truck, so since it is older that is what it is worth. I dont know if this should have bothered me as it has, but for some reason i dont even want to talk to him anymore. He apologized after i said that wasn't nice and it was rude, but it still sticks in my mind.

2. Franco

Franco New Member

Your friend is a dick, just stop competing with him and stop comparing yourselves to others, because you shoulnt feel this way about an arse. Just take it easy, for all his money and awesome job he got, saying something like that to a friend makes his money worthless, such an assery no money can buy out of. A real friend would say if business goes slow I know some people that can provide this and that. not like when you go down ill be there stealin the leftovers.

3. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

:ugh: I think you are way too sensitive. That comment is not even that offensive! I hear guys like that mess with each other all the time-most say FAR worse things than that though.

Sounds like you are the one comparing yourself to him and being a little too insecure.

4. jonno

jonno New Member

werd. i mean it was a dick thing to say but you gotta let that stuff roll off you. he even apologized.

IMO, the constant bragging about how much money he makes would piss me off far more then any comment like that.

5. THoC

THoC New Member

did not see that big of a deal w. his comment. dick? sure. but to be this upset about it? he even apologized.

6. Saluki

Saluki New Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Opera/9.60 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/4.2.13337/504; U; en) Presto/2.2.0)

I think you're being a little over sensitive, just let it go.

7. Lazy D.

Lazy D. Active Member

maybe it will help to realize that it's better for YOU not to get offended.

8. Crawling Dead

Crawling Dead Gz-TeRRoR

In for the "You're taking this too seriously" point

9. johan

johan Active Member

regardless, this "friend" still sounds like a douche.

10. Daria

Daria New Member

I agree, the friend sounds like a douche, but the threadstarter would know better than any of us. Comparing your income to someone else's and teasing you about it is really rude. If you are unhappy hanging around this person, don't feel like you have to.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

Yep.

I have no idea how much my friends make, and they have no idea how much I make.

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Your friend is a douche but unless you use tampons once a month you are way too sensitive

13. summer1547

summer1547 New Member

It sounds like you are possibly jealous of what he is doing. You could go get a job with a fancy title the same as him but I would think you are in a better position. Most likely his job is shitty and he has to brag about it all the time to convince himself that he is happy and feels successful. He's bent over and taking it from the man. You get to be the man and have total control over your time, money and future. I would get over it and realize what type of friend he is to you.

14. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Close... see my next post.

15. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

I am willing to bet money that he is into you hardcore. Seriously, you owning your own business in a very attractive attribute - it shows your motivated, driven and have strong work ethics (not ALL people can say this about themselves).

He probably wanted you, but was so intimidated while he was making shit for money. Now, he's trying to elevate himself while lowering you (e.g., "neg" to keep you thinking about him). He's clearly not too good at it, and could've only one-uped his ante by calling you fat. I don't know if you are into this fella, or not. Regardless, I wouldn't be surprised if he still feels like he needs to compensate, since he just got this job and you've clearly been successful for awhile now.

16. GFlem

GFlem New Member

Um... is quamen a girl or a guy?

17. GFlem

GFlem New Member

Sounds like a simple case of over-opportunistic one-upsmanship to me.

His ego is big because he just got like a 150% raise (and who wouldn't be?) and it hasn't sunk in yet that it's not really THAT much money when you consider it.

I can tell that you're pretty personally invested with your business - just understand that he won't be able to understand that investment until he does it himself.

It's easy to get a swollen head over stuff like this. You've obviously all gotten good at avoiding confrontation over it but sometimes you have to step in and check your friend for his own good. Talk to him one-on-one afterwards and just lay it out that he's acting a fool and that it's not cool of him to debase your way of life and to act like such a faggot.

In this economy, he's going to brag to the wrong person and get killed by some pissed off union guy that just got the axe and is contemplating suicide by cop...

18. Kafka

Kafka New Member

:rofl::ugh: this fucking girl over here.

That comment is offensive because his friend actually knows about his hypersensitivity and still exploits it every chance he gets.

Sorry, we can't all be hardened bitches.
    People have a right to be susceptible to certain comments and those who know them should respect that, especially if they're considered friends. :ugh2:

The fact he apologized at least indicates he understands it's wrongful, but if it happens again just attempt to separate yourself either emotionally or physically.

19. uneek

uneek OT Supporter

sounds like your friend is still figuring things out with his new job. I wouldn't take things personally.

20. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I think you were supposed to laugh and say "yeah, not a chance in hell dude" and take another swig of your beer. Optionally, after swallowing your beer, make a comment about how you are kinda concerned about the slowdown in business, though, to get a little sympathy from the peanut gallery.

That kind of poking at soft spots is something guys always do to each other, a kind of emotional sparring to make sure you know how to defend yourself.

21. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Dot.

Bragging about how much money someone makes should be followed up with suggestions that they should pay for the next few rounds since they're so goddamned rich now.

22. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

Sounds like you're jealous of your friend.

23. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

I would have been upset too. I don't think it was oversensitive. The real issue here is that he was acting like that in front of other people to boost his status at the expense of yours. Put it in that context, add a twist of "him being serious while saying it" and voila, you have one upset friend such as yourself.

It's unfortunate you were unable to have a quick retort to put him back in his place.

Him: "When you run out of money, how about selling your truck to me for 2,000 dollars".
    You: "Wow"
    Him: "Wow what?"
    You: "You know how they say you can learn vicariously through someone else's experiences?
    Him: "Uh...yeah?
    You: "I just learned what it's like to be a pompous douche."
    Him: *silence*

24. Determined

Determined New Member

The joke may be offensive but remember to save face and give an impression of 'it's all good.' Always move on to better friends and greener grass.

25. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

So what happened?