Coming off bc after 5+ years = late period?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Falconer, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

How normal is this? One of my friends was on the patch for over 5 years, she just came off of it last month, and now her period is about a week late. She said she's been kinda feeling like she's gonna get it for the last week or so, but it hasn't actually come yet.

I tried googling this and didn't really find anything.

I know that introducing an artificial source of hormones into your body can shut down your natural production, so it's possible after 5 years of bc her body is now like "wtf" and is still normalizing itself, but I don't really know that much about birth control.

Has this happened to anyone before?

2. demosnat

demosnat New Member

After being on my new bc for about three mos, I stopped having periods all together, I feel like i'm going to get one, and it just never happens.
    On my old (less hormone-tastic) bc, after being on for four years and then off for six mos, my period was insane...insane in the sort of way it is when you have your first couple when your 13-14. IE totally unpredictable.
    Point: when your body is on an artificial cycle for so long, it can take months to re-establsh a natural patern.
    Dont worry, as long as she's not A. pregnant, B. in pain or C. experiencing any weird vaginal symptoms, shes ok.
    Tell her good luck with the crazies....hormone level drops can make you a bit evil.

3. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

She took an ECG pregnancy test a few days ago and it was negative. But then we were doing research online and found that some girls have low ECG levels so the test will show false anyway.

We had sex a few times last month while she was off bc, but we always used spermacidally lubed condoms. But I'm still a little nervous tho.

4. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

It's common. She's only panickiig because you guys had sex. Why would she go off the BC?

When girls go off BC it messes up your system and routine, plus her stressing doesn't help either.

5. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

lol, I'm panicking more than her.

She went off bc cuz she was on the patch and she ran out. Her doctor wanted her to get off the patch completely because of the health risks, so she put her on the ring and told her to put it in when her next period came (hence my thread about the Nuva ring). She wants to go back on the patch cuz she doesn't think she's gonna like the ring, but we won't know until her period comes so she can start using it.

6. Khlav Kalash

Khlav Kalash RIP JMJ

7. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

w00t. She just called me to tell me it came. :bigthumb: Whew :wiggle:

8. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

phew, good. we don't want any more unplanned babies in this world.