SRS Coming clean to your family

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TucsonTerror, Aug 10, 2008.

1. TucsonTerror

TucsonTerror OT Supporter

Ugh...that was a really hard discussion tonight with my mother. :wtc:
    I divulged what I could and was ready to talk about and that was lik I've let 5 tons off my back. She was so supportive and caring, just the opposite of what I'd expected and even opened up to me about her own addiction therapies and depression even further.

While it's not one of the 12 steps, I feel like I took a huge step forward tonight in my recovery. At least my mom still loves me. :)

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

That's awesome man. I'm glad it went well for you and I'm sure it feels great to have the love and support from your family. It seems like this can be a HUGE factor in ones success and I know that my recovery has been helped tremendously by the support of my family. I simply could not have done it without them.

I would hope that you didn't have this conversation without first discussing it with your sponsor. Why? Well because it can be tempting to dump all the stuff you've been carrying around. However, this can hurt or even terrify those we love. It sounds like your mom has her own addiction/recovery issues so she probably really understands where you're coming from. My mom didn't have that experience so I had to be careful about what I did and did not tell her.

Anyways, good luck man.

3. TucsonTerror

TucsonTerror OT Supporter

I didn't discuss with a sponsor first but I was very aware of that issue of dumping and made sure not to. I had discussed what I could/would share with a friend and left it at those topics. Some questions, I didn't answer and I didn't share everything - maybe that'll come later or maybe I can just leave it at "There are things I did before I got well that I won't talk about".

I do think her having been through programs before herself and having dealt with my dads addictions helped her be understanding.

Thanks for the support. Back to working on my first step.

4. RainbowDustin

RainbowDustin New Member

When I told my family I was addicted to painkillers it was like a HUGE burden was let off of me. It was like they knew but at the same time they didn't want to face it if that makes sence to anyone else...

5. What were you addicted to?

6. The_King_Z.L.E.

The_King_Z.L.E. New Member

It's great that you were able to do that and have a supportive family. I would never be able to do that since -- It's not that they don't care -- they just jump to conclusions and are pretty much pessimists. That's why I just don't tell them anything and am much happier with that, but it does obviously let a load off of your shoulders if you do tell them.

7. Rainbow

Rainbow New Member

That is awesome. I felt ten times better when I came clean to my family.