COMIC comic pricing? v.swamped

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Morgan06, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Background: My father opened a comic shop and did well enough to break even from 1991-1994. We (father, brother, myself) always collected via conventions and such prior to then and have accumulated quite a bit. About 70% of that collection is leftover inventory from when the shop closed and were ready to work together and liquidate it. The things we know are worth some coin and/or believe will appreciate over time will be kept- but that leaves at least 1500 titles needing a price check.

Is there an alternative to either the magazine or web pricing guides? We've got alot of work ahead of us and any software that can record and price inventory in a single package would be a great help.

2. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

Your dad is cool ! In terms of comic book geeks that is.

3. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I'm sure he'd appreciate hearing that, it's been a while since leaving that circle. :wavey:

I've been checking different developer websites, the only one that I believe includes a pricing structure is ComicBase. MSRP is $50- that is if I can't find a torrent.

Still open to suggestions, hopefully the day crew has some ideas.

Ultimately I'm worried that we will be stuck using Excel and a combination of sources for pricing. I can feel my frustration boiling over already just by thinking about using this method.

I'd also like to make it known that we aren't doing this for profit, these titles (multiples of many- this is actual store inventory) have been sitting for more than a decade and it's time to move on to someone who will appreciate them more. I'll post some pics up tomorrow of interesting finds when I'm going through stuff on my day off. I'll be keeping an eye out for Fantastic Four #48... or #45- 1st Silver Surfer. My pride and joy :naughty:

4. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

If you want to spend a little money to do it, you can get Comicbase, along with the optional barcode scanner. All you have to input really then would be the condition of the book.

edit- just read your reply. :rofl:

I think comicbase is worth it, I've used it before.

5. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Just tried it out, finished 80 issues in about 20 minutes which wasn't too bad. The free version does pricing, albeit I'm not sure how accurate, but a good baseline. It's surprisingly detailed as far as origins/story lines go. Even has listings for some of the small press titles.

The unregistered app does 500 comics, but I don't see a problem with doing a few boxes at a time, making some print outs, and clearing the inventory.

This will also list the titles on atomicavenue.com, does anyone have experience with this site? Claims 4X the comics listing of ebay, but I am more concerned with buyer population than sellers.

Heres the first cool thing I found:
    [​IMG]

6. Nader_D

Nader_D HAHAHEHHUH ---- POOOHhHhHHCHhh! OT Supporter

holy crap :eek3: there are probably some nice gems in that collection!

7. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Theres alot of older stuff that's for sure gemworthy, but for every 1 decent collectible (gauged by either a sentiment or monetary scale) theres 50+ pieces of garbage that are another man's gold.

I'm still trying to hammer out a system to get this done while not driving me crazy and only doing it once. We will be running with the theory that if it hasn't gone up 100% from cover price, it's probably not going to increase and it's safe to get rid of.

Anyone remember these (not my pic)?
    [​IMG]

We've got a 100 gallon bag full of them, an example of things that will be sat on for quite a while.

8. void

void oh yeah?

if you have those old ass figures still in the box...you stand to make some nice bank just from those.

if you come across some decent x-men stuff, hit me up :hay:

:o

9. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

Not right now their not worth much over sticker, but someday I'm sure they will follow the trend that every other action figure does.

As far as X-Men stuff goes, I haven't run into much, but I am only scratching the surface. I did record some Sabretooth:big grin:eath Hunt & Sabretooth Classic issues plus a full set of Cable Vol. 1 issues with the "X-Men Deluxe" series. :hsd:

Along with ALL of the variants to the Spider-Man 30th Anniversary, with the hologram covers. Anyone remember the blue/red/green/black?

Edit * Spoke to soon:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007
  10. kelvs

kelvs OT Supporter

Yep. I have those.

11. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I haven't used atomicavenue.com, but if you try it and it works out, let me know. I'm looking for a good place to sell a big chunk of my collection.

12. axio

axio New Member

I used to collect action figures and sold off my collection a few years ago. I made a quick spreadsheet of every action figure I had and had the different quality conditions as columns. I hired someone out of India to complete the rest, it cost $35 and I had a shitload of info to base prices off.

13. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

That's a good idea, bet it saved alot of time. For the price you couldn't go wrong either, but I'm just going to sit on the action figures for a couple of decades.

I did pull some nice finds yesterday afternoon.

Amazing Spider-Man #45 VS Lizard, #99 Johnny Carson,#103 1st Gog, #119 1st Hulk in CA, #239 2nd Hobgoblin

Daredevil #168 1st Elektra

Incredible Hulk #110
    Silver Surfer #17
    Moon Knight #1 Origin

Fantastic Four #92 2nd Torgo
    Quite a few Wizard 1/2 Signed, Valiant Variants, and BS like that. OMG chromium covers are WICKED!

Spawn 1-50 (I remember thinking I was gonna get paid off these)
    Gen 13? Anyone? That broad was smoking hot, thats why I grabbed them @ Age 12. :rofl:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2007
  14. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

I still have $1,500 worth of action figures laying around, but I don't think I'll ever sell them. I stopped actively collecting, but I love the ones that i have and I think I got pretty much every ML that I wanted.

15. Nader_D

Figure I'd try and ask you here. Just organized my single issues and I'm missing a few issues:

The Walking Dead (Robert Kirkman, Image) #26, #28
    The Damned (Bunn, Oni Press) #5
    Arch Enemies (Melbourne, Dark Horse) #4
    Chronicles of Wormwood (Ennis, Avatar) #2
    The American Way (Ridley, Wildstorm) #6, #8
    Team Zero (Dixon, Wildstorm) #3

:x:

16. Cheeks

Cheeks New Member

I have classic x mens. Art Adams is the best ever.

17. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

If that's intended for me, the only issues I can foresee having would be from Image, Dark Horse and Oni. I grossly underestimated the amount of comics. So far we've priced about 800, but have stuck to the 1940-80 as much as possible.

By 'grossly underestimated' I really mean 'what the fuck kind of math was I using originally?'. There has to be closer to 4-5K comics. :wtc: This is beginning to look more like a winter project. I'll try to keep an eye out for anything in particular.

BTW, lol @ Evil Ernie/Lady Death comics. And how many fucking variations can there be starring Venom (Marvel)? Recockulous

18. Nader_D

Luxbond, let me know if you find those in that pile of comics! I will be willing to pay as those are issues that are breaking my collection right now :hs:

Also, if you live in/near Ottawa Ontario Canada I would be more than willing to come help you out!

19. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I do appreciate the gesture, but I'm in CT.

I've got the day off so I'll give it a shot, although I can't promise anything.

20. Nader_D

any attempts are appriciated. thanks :bigthumb: