COMIC Comic-book industry not immune from ailing economy

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Chitty Chitty Gang Bang, Feb 16, 2009.

1. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

Chitty Chitty Gang Bang OTCC

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/liv...lump.ART_ART_01-31-09_C8_F9CO1LO.html?sid=101

With that said,
    How are your guys' comic shops holding up? I have no clue what keeps our local Comic shack open...

2. jehan60188

jehan60188 New Member

pirate (noun)- A nerd without money

seriously though- comics are a form of entertainment, so they're a part of persons' discretionary spending. When people lose their jobs, discretionary spending is the first to go (except for spending on alcohol, that may even go up)

small shops are doomed, as are perhaps the smaller publishers.

3. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

I pirate.
    But I'm a nerd with money.
    If I download an issue and see that I like it, I'll go buy it. Think of it like test-driving a car.

4. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

What he said.
    Although i must admit that i am not helping the comic book industry much these days. I'm all broke'd up as fuck and can't afford any more TPB's or any single issues, which i never got from the shitty comic books here in England. So i've resorted to more and more piracy.
    I'd support them if i could, but i rather have my cake and eat it (for free), when possible :dunno:

The LCS here is just shit. The people are weird as fuck and disgusting, both appearance wise and behaviour. They've got a small and limited stock, but most of their stuff is Anime and various DVD's :ugh:
    I do hope they go under so we can hopefully get something proper here. There's a chain, not sure if it's in America, called Forbidden Planet which is quite good. Had that in my previous city, but alas, none here. :hs:

5. Chitty Chitty Gang Bang

6. johnny

johnny shit, baby

I hope my shop stays afloat. He's been there for 34 years, with dedicated customers. Dunno though, I've abandoned alot of titles, as I'm sure many have, and I'm definitely not too deep into Marvel/DC.

As far as readers, it seems like alot of people are dumping their nicer common stuff. I've been finding some awesome bronze age books, in fact just copped some really crisp copies of Lein/Wrightson era Swamp Thing.

7. mooredodge

mooredodge 3,2,1 I'm the bomb...and I'm ready to go off in yo

I'm also hoping my shop stays open. There are only two in town, and the guy I bought from was super nice. His selection was pretty meh, but he'd bend over backwards to find whatever you were looking for. I never had a problem getting new stuff from him, and he'd always try to find whatever back issues you were looking for. Then again, I spent on average $200 a week with him, so he might have been going out of his way to keep me happy. With all of that said, I haven't bought anything in around two years. :o

8. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

:h5:

9. void

void oh yeah?

my shop is right north of downtown dallas, pretty sure it'll be fine.

my shops' competition (my old shop) closed down some of the smaller shops in the surrounding areas .

10. Navvik

Navvik Active Member

The owner of my shop is a real life.... comic tycoon. His shop is the only shop in the city. Its got everything, all trades, all new comics, busts, muggs, magic the gathering, warhammer. its a comic/hobby shop, and that mofo pulls in bank.... because i give him at least 100 a week for various stuff.

11. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Where do you go, Navvik?