A&P come tell me how stupid I am at photography v.My Canon DSLR Guide

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by White Stormy, Jul 5, 2006.

1. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

I wrote this for my cousin, his wife, my brother and his wife, so tell me if I'm retarded about anything and I need to fix its accuracy. My comments to OT are in RED.

This is aimed mostly at a 350D, although I've never used one. I hope enough is similar to the 30D that I was able to give an accurate explanation of how to use many things, but if anything is different from what I said please let me know.

There are many things that I'm not going to go over, but my main objective is just to help get you familiar with the camera and the basic technical aspects of taking a picture.

Some Important Features On the Camera:
    Right Thumb Dial- Changes Shooting Modes
    Right Thumb Button (Right)- in a Creative Zone Shooting Mode, AutoFocus Point Selector. In Playback mode, increases magnification.
    Right Thumb Button (Left)- in a Creative Zone Shooting Mode, AE Lock. In Playback mode, reduces magnification.
    Right Index Finger Clickwheel- Used to change Aperture or Shutter Speed depending on what mode you're in.
    Shutter Button- half-press will engage AutoFocus if enabled on the lens. Full press will open the shutter and take the picture.

Battery:
    With a 350D you should be able to get about 600 shots on one battery charge without using the flash, and maybe half that if you were to use the flash for every shot.

Lenses:
    The EOS 350D has a metal EF/EF-S lens mount which means that it can use the full range of Canon EF lenses as well as the newer EF-S lenses. Because the sensor is smaller than a 35mm frame all lenses are subject to a focal length multiplier of 1.6x, thus a 17mm lens on the 350D provides the same field of view of a 27.2mm lens on a full frame camera. This is only really important when choosing new lenses, so if you have any further questions about it just let me know.

Basic Options:
    Options are different for each of the two Shooting Mode Zones. There are several options but most are pretty self explanatory.
    Quality (Jpeg): L, M, S are different resolutions for the Jpeg format.
    Quality (RAW): RAW saves the image unprocessed directly from the sensor. RAW can only be saved from a Creative Zone Shooting Mode. RAW can be edited in Digital Photo Professional (included with camera) or in Photoshop CS2 with a plugin. RAW files are larger than Jpeg files, but I'd recommend always shooting in RAW unless their increased file size presented a problem. Editing RAW files is a joy. You are working with the unprocessed image, so you can change options for actions that the camera would normally perform when processing the image to save.

Basic Settings: This is how I've come to understand these things, but I'm really retarded sometimes, so let me know if anything is wrong.
    Aperture- the Aperture value or "stop" controls how much light will reach the sensor. Aperture values are given as fractions, so the lower the value is, the greater the aperture (ex, f/2 > f/4). The aperture also controls the depth of field. An f/2 aperture will have a more shallow depth of field than an f/4 aperture. A shallow depth of field around the subject is what will create the blurred background (or Bokeh) behind the subject.
    ISO Sensitivity- the ISO value is a measure of light sensitivity. The higher the ISO, the more sensitivity there is to light. Increased sensitivity also increases the amount of noise in the image.
    Shutter Speed- the length of time that the shutter is held open while taking the picture. Shutter speeds are available in seconds or fractions of one second. A shutter speed of 6400 means 1/6400 of a second, while 10" or 0.3" mean 10 seconds or 0.3 seconds.

Shooting Modes: Copied almost exactly from dpreview
    Shooting Modes are separated into two Zones, the Basic Zone and the Creative Zone.
    Basic Zone:
    Automatic (Green Box)- Point and Shoot operation
    Portrait- Apertures are kept large (small f/number) to produce a shallow depth of field and blurred background
    Landscape- Apertures are kept small (large f/number) to produce the largest depth of field
    Macro- Aperture is kept to a medium setting to try to ensure that the subject is in focus but background is blurred
    Sports- Shutter speed is kept high to capture fast moving objects without motion blur
    Night- Allows for slow shutter speeds and flash use to illuminate both foreground and background
    Flash Off- Disables flash for automatic slow exposures
    Creative Zone:
    Program (P)- Similar to Automatic but you're responsible for setting ISO, Focus Points, and Exposure Level (available after half-press on shutter).
    Shutter Priority (Tv)- You select shutter speed, ISO, focus points, and the camera will calculate the correct aperture.
    Aperture Priority (Av)- You select the aperture, ISO, focus points, and the camera will calculate the correct shutter speed.
    Manual (M)- You control all options.
    Auto Depth-Of-Field (A-DEP)- Camera attempts to ensure that all focus points are within the depth of field.

Misc:
    AE Lock- Custom Function that lets you decide when the camera will AutoFocus (ex, you may want the camera to focus only once before you take several shots).
    Bokeh- the out-of-focus areas in an image.
    Exposure Level- Meter on the LCD showing how exposed the camera feels the current image is with the current settings. The Exposure Level Meter looks like "-2..-1..0..1..2". Negative means the picture is underexposed, positive means it's overexposed. When in Program (P) Mode just keep this on 0 and you should be fine.
    Fill Light- light added to a scene to illuminate areas that are in shadow.

External Links:
    Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT 350D (dpreview)

Aperture (Wikipedia)
    Bokeh (Wikipedia)
    Depth of Field (Wikipedia)
    Field of View (Wikipedia)
    Fill Light (Wikipedia)
    ISO Sensitivity (Wikipedia)
    RAW Image Format (Wikipedia)
    Shutter Speed (Wikipedia)

Attached Files:
    Bokeh: example01 and example02 both use low aperture values to achieve a shallow depth of field.
    example01- Auto Focus 50mm, 1/1000s Shutter Speed, f/2.0 Aperture Value, ISO 100
    [​IMG]
    example02- Manual Focus 75mm, 1/60s Shutter Speed, f/4.0 Aperture Value, ISO 400
    [​IMG]

RAW: example04 is an edited version of example03
    example03- Auto Focus 75mm, 1/250s Shutter Speed, f/8.0 Aperture Value, ISO 100
    [​IMG]
    example04- RAW Edited Brightness -0.5, Daylight White Balance Adjustment, Faithful Picture Style
    [​IMG]

2. Ty Webb

Ty Webb You don't have to go to college. This isn't Russia

Who's blondie? Nudes? :naughty: :x:

3. White Stormy

no. and yeah I shrank the pics for this post because this is OT

4. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

One thing you can explain is how the ISO/aperture/shutter speeds are correlated. Once people learn how this works, the settings are much easier to comprehend.

5. White Stormy

well that was what I said to do, too, but my cousin just left on his honeymoon and forgot the manual at home.

6. White Stormy

I thought I did that :o

what else should I say?

7. bosox

bosox *

8. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

9. EG6

EG6 OT Supporter

Nice link for the shutter/aperture

10. eof

eof New Member

Frame things more in the center.... :hs:

Ignore that and read about the rule of thirds.....:bigthumb: All of your subjects are in the center and it doesn't work...

11. eof

eof New Member

I just took the left space off of the picture and it looks alot better because she is less centered.

[​IMG]

12. White Stormy

yeah I didn't want to edit the pics since I was using them as examples for other stuff

13. eof

eof New Member

You shouldn't have to edit them you should have framed them correctly on the camera.... ;)

14. You could have saved alot of thought and told them to just read the manual.... :hs:

15. I'm sure if they don't know much about the camera they won't know much about editing pics in RAW. You should have suggested that they shoot in JPG only if they are away on a honeymoon or something. They might be upset when they get home and they can't just click on the images/snapshots to see them... :o

16. White Stormy

yeah they left for the trip without it

that was my first response when he asked me

17. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

or told them not to buy a dslr for their important photos when they dont know how to use it? :dunno: