Comcast Users

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GOGZILLA, Jan 17, 2009.

1. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

Hey dudes. Woke up this morning to this wonderful notice when opening a web browser:

Your operating system is not supported by Comcast's Installation Wizard. Please call 1-800-COMCAST to setup your account.

I use linux. Went to go on internets with wifes mac and they want you to create some sort of account and apparently download and install some bullshit to do who knows what. It's weird that the only sites that I can't get to right now are google and slashdot but I was just wondering if anyone knows a way around this shit so I don't have to sit on tech support for 6 hours. They just started this today so I'm sure the lines are completely jammed.

2. Corp

Corp OT Supporter

same thing happened to me when i initially set up my comcast account, it only took about 5 minutes to get it fixed over the phone :dunno:

3. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have Comcast and I've never seen that before

4. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

ok just got home from the gym and it works fine now. I dunno what the problem was maybe some dns server ate shit or something. weird thing is my friend who uses brighthouse was having the same problem with google.

5. ge0

ge0 New Member

umm

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Yeah, i just got a new modem last week and when I went to get online for the first time I got that crap. Called them and the guy did something on his end and all was normal.

7. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

what modem did they give you? I had a Motorola SB5101 and I was getting slow ass speeds, 2mb up and down and they couldn't figure it out so they thought there was a problem with my modem so I went in to swap it out and they gave me some antique looking shit, a RCA DCM325, and that shit got the same speeds:greddy:

But it's all good though cause I got a TRENDnet TEW-633GR router and hooked that shit up and now I get 30mb down, 2mb up:bigthumb:

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

i have the SB5101 and has no probs
    and fuck leasing one, buy your own

9. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

their service was probably out. that's what happens to my dad when service goes out.

10. negative zero

negative zero New Member

sb5101

11. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

apparently my sb5101 had no problems either since the new modem they gave me gets the same shitty speeds the 5101 got. But since adding my router my speeds have multiplied 15x:coolugh:

12. negative zero

negative zero New Member

How is that even possible?

13. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

by installing a TRENDnet TEW-633GR apparently. I have no clue how or why my d/l speed is so much faster with the router vs. w/o it but it sure makes easy work of large downloads:coolugh:

I ran tests on speedtest.net, pcpitstop, and speakeasy and all have confirmed my 30mb d/l speeds with the router installed, the moment it I disconnect it and run it through the modem only my speeds drop down to below 2mb/s and d/l's take forever.

I've been trying to find a logical answer to this for the past two weeks but have yet to find one. I don't mind the newfound speed but i'm curious to know how/why this is happening.

14. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

a router simply routes. it shouldn't have anything to do in boosting your speeds.

probably a modem issue. maybe it has super aids

15. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

LOL @ super aids

I'm equally dumbfounded as you about this, it makes no sense to me and if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes it would be hard for me to believe too, but it is what it is. I am going to send an email to TRENDnet to see if they can shed any light on the situation cause I just gotta find out how/why this is. So far i've been unable to find anything online that suggests why the router has opened up my downloads like it has.

If it was a modem issue then why is it able to pass through so much more when I add the router? Is the router the antidote?

16. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

Don't say anything or else they'll fix the speed issue... all downloading will be at slower speed. Hehe.

17. r00tman

r00tman Archiver of LOLs

LOL @ Cumcast :mamoru:

What kind of fucked up ISP requires their users to install client software in order to access the interwebs?

18. rkf76

rkf76 New Member

They tested it and got 23mb/s. But my modem tested at 1.5-2mb/s so I guess they're content with that, sucks to be them cause now i'm getting 30mb/s with the router in the loop:wavey: