comcast = ghey

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drinkdran0, Nov 28, 2004.

1. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

alright. im on a network system but it has been alright and speedy. recently, itll disconnect out of no where and might start up if i disconnect router + cable (like the stupid comcast ppl tell me to do)

but i think this is outrageous. i should get free internet cos most days i dont get internet for 60% of the time. what do you think?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

try without the router... I've seen that be the issue more often than not.

otherwise, go down to the co with your cm and be polite and ask em to swap it out... they always do if you're nice (not a jackass like i want free internet)

3. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Does the cable modem show its connected to the cable system? Does it ever go into "search" mode? It might not be getting strong/clean enough signal from Comcast. Have you ever had them out to check the levels?

4. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

My parent's have roadrunner in Houston. While I was home visiting for Thanksgiving, my dad mentioned their router quit working so that they could no longer connect to the web through the router.

Roadrunner was no help. They just said that if I could get to the web fine connected directly from the PC to the cable modem, that the router should work with the settings I was using.

After two calls to Linksys and several combinations of power cycling and cable switching, it was determined that the router was functioning properly, but there was a "compatibility issue" between the cable modem and the router. This sounded ridiculous to me, so I googled it and found numerous other people that had the same problem. The guy from Linksys said that the fix for it was to place a network switch between the cable modem and the router. At the time I didn't think to ask why because I was just ready to get it working, but the other mentions of the same problem I found online said something to the effect that with the latest updates that Roadrunner had made to their cable modems they were having problems negotiating a connection between the modem and router and that the switch would resolve the issue.

After giving it a try, it worked and everything is back to normal after the installation of the network switch. It's goofy, but it works. I'm convinced that since roadrunner and other cable modem service providers are now offering "wireless broadband service" with thier own wifi routers and a$10+ extra charge every month that they may actually have intentionally done something to the cable modems via the updates that resulted in this "incompatibility issue" so that you'll be more likely to use theirs. The tech support person at Roadrunner actually asked me, not what kind of router it was, but where I purchased it. When I said I hadn't purchased it from Roadrunner, she said they couldn't troubleshoot it because of "licensing agreements" or something to that effect.

Regardless, simply placing a network switch between the cable modem and your router may take care of the problem if you can otherwise connect fine by removing the router from the network.

5. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

That's funny, in both the 'ha-ha' funny and 'that's odd' funny, because I'm in Houston and with Roadrunner and using a router, but not a Linksys. It's a Macsense XRouter Pro MIH-130A.
    The only problems I've ever had was when 2 of the modems died in the past 3-4 years we've used them, and the router with it's own problems maybe once or twice but it's still the same router.

As for Comcast being ghey; I completely agree but only because of how the completely F'ed up TechTV. If they can F over the country like that, then their customers must be getting it from both ends.

6. Scoob_13

Scoob_13 Anything is possible, but the odds are astronomica

:ugh: That's just fucked up.

7. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

who said blah blah blah?

i will keeel you.

8. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Long ago I had a similar issue where a 3COM NIC wouldn't talk to a 3COM hub. The only way to make it work was to put another hub (Linksys in my case) between the two. Its rare, but shit like that does happen from time to time.

9. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

Our little technical term around here for that is "Violation of Combined Tolerances Within Faults."
    Basically anything that should work but doesn't because of some strange phenomena.

10. drinkdran0

drinkdran0 New Member

lol that helps