COMCAST being gay...again.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rocklee, Aug 29, 2008.

1. rocklee

rocklee New Member

nothing new really...

http://blogs.chron.com/techblog/arc...s_bandwidth_cap_comes_out_of_the_close_1.html

August 29, 2008

Comcast's bandwidth cap comes out of the closet

[​IMG]For some time, Comcast has taken action against users who bellied up too often at the all-you-can-eat Internet trough. Users had their access cut off if they consumed too much bandwidth, but "too much" was never publicly defined.
    On Thursday, Comcast said it was making its once-mysterious bandwidth cap formal, locking it down at 250 gigabytes a month starting Oct. 1. That sounds like a lot of data, and for most users, it is, according to the company's FAQ on excessive use:
    Comcast has heard from customers who have requested that a number be provided to clarify what the company defines as excessive use. Comcast listened, and recently announced that it will implement a new threshold for data usage. As of October 1, 2008, data usage above 250 GB/month per Comcast High-Speed Internet residential customer account will be considered excessive. To reach 250 GB in a month, for example, a customer would have to do any of the following:
    • Sending 20,000 high-resolution photos,
    • Sending 40 million emails;
    • Downloading 50,000 songs; or
    • Viewing 8,000 movie trailers.
    Of course, there are some other, valid uses that will get you there a lot faster, such as downloading a purchased HD movie, or uploading files to an online backup service.
    If you go over the 250-GB cap once, you "may receive a call from Comcast's Customer Security Assurance ("CSA") group to notify them of excessive use," according to the FAQ. But woe be unto you if you do it again:
    If a customer surpasses 250 GB and is one of the top users of the service for a second time within a six-month timeframe, his or her service will be subject to termination for one year. After the one year period expires, the customer may resume service by subscribing to a service plan appropriate to his or her needs.
    You would think, if Comcast was going to formalize the cap in this way, the company would provide software that would allow you to monitor bandwidth. For the moment, however, the Comcast FAQ suggests you "find such tools by simply doing a Web search -- for example, a search for "bandwidth meter" will provide some options."
    Hey, thanks, guys!
    Snark aside, this may be changing. In a conversation on Twitter Thursday night with Comcast executive Frank Eliason -- aka. ComcastCares -- I was told that such software may be available soon.
    @dsilverman I just wish the tool was available now because the average user is 2-3 GB. I think people hear this and it think impacts them about 12 hours ago
    @dsilverman I thought I was a heavy user and I used one of the tools in the summer and it was nothing about 12 hours ago
    @dsilverman From what I understand there is testing happening, but not a public beta yet about 12 hours ago
    His last response came after I asked whether a test version of this tool was available.
    If Comcast customers decide to run screaming from its now-public cap, they may not find bandwidth sanctuaries for long. AT&T has said it is pondering caps, and in nearby Beaumont, Time Warner Cable is testing tiers with different ones. Go over the limit in your tier, and you'll pay extra.
    The problem with the 250-GB cap is that, as so-called "cloud computing" and increased use of online video expands, what's excessive today may be commonplace very soon. I suspect Comcast's policy will change in the next few years, probably to one that emphasizes tiered service. Cutting people off because they watch movies or back up their computers is not an ISP business approach that can remain viable for long.

:greddy:

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

they've ALWAYS HAD a limit. at least now they're telling us what it is. this is an upgrade.

3. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

On one hand, it sucks. I mean, it just does.

On the other hand the old way was for Comcast to say to you, 'You have gone over the limit.' you then replied, 'Oh what is the limit?' and there reply was, 'That is confidential information. Just know you went over it.'.

So.... for something that sucks... this does suck less, if only a little less.

2 things I think are important to think about, maybe even discuss:

1. I believe ALL broadband providers are eventually going to go this way. While it is possible (likely even) that a few Ma and Pa companies are going to make a name for themselves by being truly limitless, most of us won't have access to those people. The vast majority of us are lucky we have cable available and if we don't have that we MIGHT have DSL available in our area. We really don't have a true choice in providers. These guys are all gonna look at each other and come to the same idea, 'if the other guy is doing it then I can do it too.'.
    It is inevitable. You might as well accept it.

2. To me 250 gb a month seems like a ton of data. I mean, I recently subscribed to Carbonite (interweb backup service for PC's) for both my laptop and my desktop computer. Over the last 3 months I have been uploading about 60 gb of data for EACH of those machines to make a total of 120 gb a month just for Carbonite.
    To me that just seems HUGE and excessive. But that Carbonite backup probably accounts for 98% of my net useage. The next biggest useage I get is for Easynews and on a rare month I might go as high as 30 gb, but normal months it is nearer to 10 gb.
    So even if I tried to hit that 250 gb cap - it is still too huge for me to hit.

And that is the thing. Right there. It sounds like such a reasonable number. Who the fuck is gonna hit 250 gb a month???
    That is where they get you.

Remember - there is NOTHING keeping that number at 250. I bet if they like the results (or if they don't like the results) of this plan they move the number to 200, then 180, then 150.
    I don't know how long it will take, but easily within 3 years we may be in a place where we can't find anyone willing to give us 250 gb a month.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

i think all ISPs should have a bandwidth cap. fuck the 5% who need more than that. they can pay more.

5. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I think cable companies should have a TV viewing cap.
    I mean think about it. How many hours a week is watching TV really healthy for you?
    If you go over the cap they should be able to charge you more.

6. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

good, i agree with it.

7. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

that's the worst analogy i've heard in awhile

8. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Awesome...I wish more ISPs did this. 250GB is more than enough...that's more than 8GB a day. Fuck those torrent/pirating fags who are constantly killing my VOIP service with their bandwidth hogging.

But...............would you be OK with a 5GB cap?

9. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

Yes. that's more than 160 MB a day. Fuck those torrent/pirating fags who are constantly killing my VOIP service with their bandwidth hogging.

:mamoru:

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

werst analogy evar. when you watch more tv, it doesn't affect anyone else's use of tv. but, when the asshats leave their fucking torrents running all day and night, that affects my available bandwidth. the only problem i have right now is that they never defined what acceptable use is and then cut people off without justification.

11. rocklee

rocklee New Member

bullshit in bold...

Comcast says 99% of users under Internet cap

By BRAD HEM Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Aug. 29, 2008, 11:04PM

Comcast's announcement that it will put a monthly ceiling on Internet activity may have some customers counting gigabytes.

Starting in October, residential users whose combined downloads and uploads total more than 250 gigabytes will be asked to curb their usage. If they exceed the limit a second time, their service could be terminated.

Comcast spokesman Charlie Douglas said Friday that fewer than 1 percent of customers use 250 gigabytes and that median monthly usage is 3 gigabytes. :mamoru:

But media companies increasingly are offering more bandwidth-gobbling content, notably high-definition video. Douglas couldn't say how much bandwidth an HD movie would require to download, so it's uncertain how soon more people may begin pushing the 250-gigabyte threshold.

For now, here are some estimates of how much Internet use it would take to burn through 250 gigabytes, according to Comcast:

• Send 50,000 100-word e-mails at 5 kilobytes each.
    • Download 62,500 four-minute songs at four megabytes each. (A gigabyte is about 1,000 megabytes; a megabyte is about 1,000 kilobytes.)
    • Download 125 two-hour standard-definition movies at two gigabytes each.
    • Upload 25,000 high-resolution photos at 10 megabytes each.

12. rocklee

rocklee New Member

that's the gay part about it...they start at a random number (250 gb) just to lower the cap later on making u have to pay more just to be happy to get that 250 gb plan again.

just like cable tv, it's just a matter of time till we pay for different internet bandwidth packages..

which sort of reminds me of the dsl vs cable days...why get dsl when u could pay a lil more to get cable for the faster speeds..same thing will probably happen here..

why get the 100 gb package when u could get the 250 gb package just for an extra 10 bucks or some shit :ugh2:

13. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

if you have comcast, as soon as they enforce the cap, switch to DSL. it is called capitalism people. if you don't like what a company is doing, then do not get your service from them. if enough people do this, then comcast will recognize the error of their ways.

14. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Sadly...a lot of people do not have more than one choice for ISP (as do I).

15. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

250GB cap today, 5GB cap next week for $12.99/month.

16. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

man, if they came out with an economy plan, i know quite a few people who could use that. my parents and brother barely use the internet besides email and some web browsing. no music or video downloads there.

17. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Comcast wouldn't be smart enough to do it. :mamoru:

18. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

There are a lot of people that don't have DSL available.
    Even for those people, there is nothing that is stopping DSL from getting on this bandwagon.

19. gino85

gino85 fuck your honda civic, i've a horse outside

im on a 30gig cap, if i go over that then i simply gota pay 1c per mb then

edit: i forgot to say when i first got BB a few years ago i had a 2gig limit

Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  20. Frequency

Frequency New Member

How can you call bullshit on that?
    My parents have comcast and they use them for email and umm some surfing and I am sure there are plenty of other people out there who are exactly the same, not everyone is downloading everything they can get there hands on like you think

21. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

one company will be the first to start it. if it is a success, other companies will probably follow suit. if it is a failure, then they'll roll it back. most likely they'll consider it a success if the high bandwidth users either start paying more, reduce their network usage or leave. comcast will probably save money if the top users left by reducing the need for network upgrades.

22. Original Sin

Original Sin I'm so hood.

No biggie, just pick up another modem and "borrow" more bandwidth ;)

23. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

some people have a hard time seeing outside their social circle

24. rocklee

rocklee New Member

lol....might as well bitch and cry now so u don't have to do it later :fawk: