Combination tube/solid state system?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Sep 2, 2002.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Nov 11, 2001
    So I recently acquired a Counterpoint SA-2000 tube preamp, and right now I have an NAD C270 as an interim amp until I can afford something nicer (only cost me about $800 for the two pieces). I'm pretty sure I want to get a tube amp to go with the Counterpoint, however, my plans for building some new speakers might turn into something large like a full range stereo pair.

If that's the case, then I'll have to get a solid state amp, probably something like an NAD S200, since tube amps with lots of juice (more than 100w per channel) tend to be very pricey.

But I'm not sure how that's going to sound. I really like what the Counterpoint has done for my stystem, and I'm wondering if pairing it up with a high-end solid state will destroy the potential of a totally tube system. Not that the NAD S200 is bad-- it has a very smooth character, with airy, accurate highs, silky mids, and tight bass punch and plenty of slam. You could say it's somewhat tube-like, but it still isn't anything like a tube amp. Has anyone ever had a similar setup, with a tube preamp and a solid state amp? Did you like the results?
  2. nt

nt Guest

i've used a hybrid system before. a tube preamp (quicksilver linestage) and an adcom power amp. it was a pretty sweet setup. i felt is was a good compromise. the adcom really firmed up the sound (increased the dynamics, tightened up the bass) while the quicksilver provided a touch of "airiness" and gave the sound the sweetness you associate w/ tubes.

i've always liked the sound tubes, but hated the hassle. i listen to my stereo alot and was having to constantly replace my power amp tubes. give me plug and play, damnit. the tubes from the preamp generally have a longer life, so for me a hybrid system was a good compromise.