MIL Combat Medic Deserter gets €5000

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ranger-AO, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:ugh:
    http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0,13319,138249,00.html?ESRC=iraq.RSS

2. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

You volunteered retard :rofl:

3. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Wish someone would give me 5000 euros :wtc:

4. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

Great, now other governments are gonna start doing this and try to pay us off to not fight.

5. Schadenfreude1

Schadenfreude1 New Member

Well, he didn't think he'd have to REALLY go anywhere.

And by the way, article 85 of the UCMJ states:

Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.”

6. MrRyan

MrRyan Gary Johnson 2016 OT Supporter

Honestly - I've been following this guy's case for the last year or so and he should have been granted concientious objector status. His Company Commander screwed the pooch on that one. He was a medic - he didn't absolutely need to carry a firearm to do his job. Had he been granted that in the first place he might not have gone awol to begin with.

7. MrRyan

He's said repeatedly that the deployment wasn't the issue. He'd been before and would go again but he wanted C.O. status.

8. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Sounds like it may be a more interesting case than first thought then... got some background reading?

Slightly off topic.. Didn't a C.O. medic get your Medal of Honour back in the day?

9. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

I call bullshit. Most soldiers in WWII didn't fire their weapon. He could have done the same.

reference: On Killing, by David Grossman

10. MrRyan

Did I finally convince you to read it? :bowrofl:

It's more a principled thing apparently. He said he just chose to not carry a weapon anymore and didn't want to do that...changed MOS's I think to medic so that he could apply for C.O. status. I know Infantry Types....buncha hard headed commanders for no reason.

11. MrRyan

I've just been following him in the Stars & Stripes link above. Search his name it should all come up. He's a dirtbag for sure...don't get me wrong...but what pushed him over the edge wasn't entirely his fault.

12. brackac

brackac Fuck all of this. OT Supporter

Won't even pay his lawyer fees.

13. Schadenfreude1

What difference would that make? Not to mention the piece of paper he signed during the recruiting process stating he was NOT a CO.

PS: If someone is antiwar, why join the army in the first place?

14. Schadenfreude1

JAGs are free at courts-martial. :mamoru:

15. TheNewMonaro

TheNewMonaro New Member

Desmond T. Doss was the guy I was thinking of.

Citation: He was a company aid man when the 1st Battalion assaulted a jagged escarpment 400 feet high. As our troops gained the summit, a heavy concentration of artillery, mortar and machinegun fire crashed into them, inflicting approximately 75 casualties and driving the others back. Pfc. Doss refused to seek cover and remained in the fire-swept area with the many stricken, carrying them 1 by 1 to the edge of the escarpment and there lowering them on a rope-supported litter down the face of a cliff to friendly hands. On 2 May, he exposed himself to heavy rifle and mortar fire in rescuing a wounded man 200 yards forward of the lines on the same escarpment; and 2 days later he treated 4 men who had been cut down while assaulting a strongly defended cave, advancing through a shower of grenades to within 8 yards of enemy forces in a cave's mouth, where he dressed his comrades' wounds before making 4 separate trips under fire to evacuate them to safety. On 5 May, he unhesitatingly braved enemy shelling and small arms fire to assist an artillery officer. He applied bandages, moved his patient to a spot that offered protection from small arms fire and, while artillery and mortar shells fell close by, painstakingly administered plasma. Later that day, when an American was severely wounded by fire from a cave, Pfc. Doss crawled to him where he had fallen 25 feet from the enemy position, rendered aid, and carried him 100 yards to safety while continually exposed to enemy fire. On 21 May, in a night attack on high ground near Shuri, he remained in exposed territory while the rest of his company took cover, fearlessly risking the chance that he would be mistaken for an infiltrating Japanese and giving aid to the injured until he was himself seriously wounded in the legs by the explosion of a grenade. Rather than call another aid man from cover, he cared for his own injuries and waited 5 hours before litter bearers reached him and started carrying him to cover. The trio was caught in an enemy tank attack and Pfc. Doss, seeing a more critically wounded man nearby, crawled off the litter; and directed the bearers to give their first attention to the other man. Awaiting the litter bearers' return, he was again struck, this time suffering a compound fracture of 1 arm. With magnificent fortitude he bound a rifle stock to his shattered arm as a splint and then crawled 300 yards over rough terrain to the aid station. Through his outstanding bravery and unflinching determination in the face of desperately dangerous conditions Pfc. Doss saved the lives of many soldiers. His name became a symbol throughout the 77th Infantry Division for outstanding gallantry far above and beyond the call of duty.

16. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

:eek3: Holy shit BADASS

17. MrRyan

He said that his first deployment changed him - he saw the death and didn't want to be part the dealing of it anymore. Like I said...he's still a scumbag for deserting - but his C.O. status should have been approved.