MMA combat hapkido?

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by ralph, Jan 28, 2006.

1. ralph

ralph driver her like you stole her

Anybody try this? I want to take up a martial art and was thinking of taking hapkido. Any advice or comments on the martial art. thanks

2. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

hapkido is great, i use to take it. a lot of kicks and also great throws and wrist locks.

one of the greater korean martial art. never heard of combat hapkido though. maybe your thinking of hwoarang do?? thats military training

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

i heard that world class hapkido guys are actually pretty well rounded in terms of mma type fighting. Not the best by any means, but they know their stuff.

4. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I've seen a tournament rules set up that was called 'combat hapkido' and it was basicly MMA rules. :dunno:

hapkido, like any TMA, runs the gamut from incredibly horrible to quite servicable.

5. JustGod

JustGod New Member

From what I've gathered it can be quite useful against most people who have minimal fighting knowledge/experience, which is most of the world's population. Combat hapkido sounds somewhat trendy.

6. chackrafool

chackrafool New Member

Hapkido has great kicks :ugh: never heard of 'em . Show me some

7. DOHChi

DOHChi New Member

the hapkido that i learned was based upon by ji han jae. he was one of grandmaster choi's best student. grandmaster choi's version of hapkido didnt originally include kicks or use of weapons until ji han jae left the school and learned from a different master. he learned the tradition art of tae kyon kicks. ji was the one to develop kicks for hapkido, and introduced it to choi. he was also the one to name the "art" hapkido. before it had several different names like yu sul, or hapki yu kwon sul. kicks were developed to defend oneself against tang soo do, kong soo do, kwon bupand and taekwondo.

anyways if you want to see clips of hapkido kicks just look at bruce lee, jackie chan and sammo hung. they all learned how to kick from hapkido.