GUN Combat Handgunery

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Gimik, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Gimik

Gimik New Member

2. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Nice, in for others as well.

3. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I got it. Well, I think I have the 5th Ed.

Shacklemenot recommended another book. I think it was called Surgical Speed or something... then when I got it I saw Jame Yeager wrote a forward for it.

4. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

As long as it's not like the magazine, I'm in... :o

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think i'm anti-ayoob.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

expand on that please, oh wise one.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think he does great work on making people realize the litigation involved with shooting someone and to keep your mouth shut until you talk with a lawyer. You'd think that'd be common sense, but hey. He's also done great work helping get ccw passed in places.

On terminal ballistics he's certainly not a fackler fan and I disagree with most of his opinions. He was recently working to get air marshalls armed with frangible rounds (blech). Honestly he just seems to come off like a bit of a mall ninja who likes telling stories. I'm not in agreement with him on alot of issues like handloads, and I'm not sure that his information is always what I would call....I dunno, but its nothing I'd cite for a college paper. Thats fine for an entertaining read in a magazine, but I'd take it all with a grain of salt.

Here's an example of shawn dodson tearing ayoob a new pooper http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/2006/04/03/0604-03a.htm

8. Gimik

Gimik New Member

well crap. I'd heard people say some good stuff about him (and a few people quote him), so I thought the book would be ok. Oh well, it's still a pretty good read. I'll just have to read some other stuff too. Any suggestions? CCW stuff would be optimal as well as any other handgun combat.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sadly I have no idea who to trust on firearms training stuff. I've often wished the training people would make like their basic video free for download, and you could use that to evaluate their methods and decide if you want to buy more books/videos/classes for them. One of my friends went to a place in memphis I always heard was good and was treated poorly by the staff (she's a girl so she got sexist treatment) so it seems like its hard to tell until you try. Anyway glad its still a good read, like I said I don't think he's all bad, I'd just be careful where I trusted him.

10. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

racist!

11. int3rnal

int3rnal Active Member

I read an article he wrote on the crush grip, which a lot of people say not to use. After trying it out I noticed a very big improvement on my accuracy. I'd like to read more of his stuff though.

12. mzmtg

mzmtg New Member

I've seen this suggested a couple of other times too. It works for me. It's easier to keep a consistent grip when you just concentrate on gripping as hard as you can every time you draw.

13. Platinum_Thunder

I think that's probably a reality for a combat situation.

14. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Goddamn that was a boring read. Sorry, I know ballistics is interesting for you, but I don't get much from it, unless it's written in less scientific terms and a bit more prosaic. Still, it does kind of make one reconsider about Ayoob.

15. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Don't feel bad. I couldn't get through it either. I just skimmed all the quotes. :hs:

16. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

Like most any trainers you have to take everything with a grain of salt, then you might get lucky from time to time and get some great people to work with. I don't agree with everything Ayoob writes, but he has an amazing amount of background and history in case law.

Also check out any of the books by Farnam. For decent entertainment anything written by Mac "Animal" Young are good. He does explain a lot about human nature and the thinking going on in peoples heads. Mostly hand to hand and knife based tho.

17. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

I have the 4th Edition, which is the Chuck Taylor version.

In fairness, I've also taken up to the Advanced ASAA Handgun courses which are basically based off the book, so I can't say I use the book a whole lot other then a reference because I did the classes that the book is based off.

18. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

subscribe to this newsletter. i've watched their videos, it's great. the newsletter always has extremely good info in it.

http://suarezinternational.com/mwsubscribe/index.php?what=subscribe

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Just a warning, I'm not familiar with Suarez material or competency, although I've heard it called into question before (people citing incidents of him telling them to shoot over him or something among other things), but he does seem to be a man of questionable character. In 2000 he pled guilty to workers comp fraud, money laundering, and grand theft. He received a year long jail sentence in LA County Jail as part of a plea bargain that dropped two perjury charges and was ordered to repay his $112,250.01 in works comp fraud. His wife was also part of it and got a day in jail and 5 years probation.

If I take training I'd like it to be something I could use to help clear my actions in court, I'm not sure that being taught by a convicted criminal is going to help me with that. Plus I like to give my money to good guys if I can help it. Ymmv, but I think it'd be worth investigating the man a bit if you're going to take advice from him, and especially so if you plan to give him your hard earned money.

20. Platinum_Thunder

I personally have heard the same thing. I am not saying to go to him, or not though.

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Me neither, just sort of a full disclosure thing. Just to show its not hear say:

Former Officer Pleads Guilty to Fraud Charges

By Teresa Rochester

Sept. 27 -- A former Santa Monica police officer has pleaded guilty to Workers Compensation fraud, money laundering and grand theft and will begin serving a year-long jail sentence for the crimes next week.

Gabriel Saurez, a decorated 12-year veteran of the SMPD, will report to Los Angeles County Jail to begin serving his sentence on Monday as part of a plea agreement reached last week in Los Angeles County Criminal Court. Saurez, who recently resigned from the force, also was sentenced to five years probation.

Saurez, his wife Cheryl Saurez and Officer Jason Comer pleaded not guilty in April to charges of conspiracy, Workers Compensation fraud and grand theft. Saurez also faced two additional fraud charges.

Like her husband, Cheryl Saurez agreed to plea guilty during last Friday's hearing. She was ordered to serve one day in jail and also was sentenced to five years probation.

Comer's charges were dropped in June, and he remains on paid leave pending the conclusion of an administrative investigation, according to Police Chief James T. Butts Jr.

As part of the agreement, the charges of conspiracy against the Suarezes were dismissed, as were the two additional counts of Workers Compensation filed against Gabriel Saurez, said DA spokesperson Sandi Gibbons.

The Saurezes paid a $100 fine and $112, 250.01 in restitution on Friday, according to Deputy Dist. Atty. Ellen St. John.

Chief Butts said Saurez's plea was a testament to the "hard work, time and effort that the risk management and our criminal division officers have put into this case.

"The good thing is the City of Santa Monica has received full restitution for all wages that were paid in this fraudulent claim," Butts said. "The jail sentence that was imposed by the judge sent a strong message that this type of misconduct will not be tolerated by the City of Santa Monica,"

Gabriel Suarez allegedly worked as a gun tactics trainer while receiving Workers Compensation for a slip and fall accident in the SMPD's locker room in 1999. Cheryl Suarez allegedly received payments for work done by her husband through a company she never worked for. The dismissed charges against Comer were based on allegations that he received and disbursed money for Saurez.

The Saurez case stemmed from a long-term investigation of Workers Compensation fraud within the police department launched late last year by the department, the District Attorneys Office and the State Department of Insurance.

The investigation also has resulted in charges filed against Officer Richard Robert Brulato, who pleaded not guilty in June to two counts of Workers Compensation Fraud.

Butts said the investigation is "definitely ongoing.

"We have other cases we are actively looking at and investigating. Fortunately at this point those cases are few," said Butts adding that they would be vigorously pursued.

Copyright ©1999, 2000, 2001 surfsantamonica.com. All Rights Reserved.

22. RealFastV6

I'm going to plug Chuck Taylor one more time in this thread, because he's fucking awesome.

If you ever have a chance to take the ASAA Basic 4 Day Pistol, TAKE IT. Then take the Intermediate, and then take the Advanced, and then take the Masters.

/Thread.

23. Platinum_Thunder

:noes:

Where have you been?

24. RealFastV6

Moved in with my girlfriend. :hsd:
    But then I moved back out, because as it turned out she was insane. :wavey:

25. Platinum_Thunder

women FTL.