MIL Combat Engineer (21B)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Militant, Jan 7, 2008.

1. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I go to MEPS on thursday to re-negotiate the contract a wee bit. What do you guys think? I'm having my ship date moved up with the opportunity to change up my MOS. I'm 88N right now and it seems fine but after some research it seems like it will be boring. I truly don't know till I've done it I assume but I'd rather get some insight from you guys to help me decide on some things. I remember seeing alot of engineer jobs including 21b on my MOS list when I chose last, any of you have experience or stories as well as any suggestions for other reserve MOS's as well? I'm doing reserves through collegio

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

that old guy and his son are combat engineers. i'm a marine combat engineer which is based on the army MOS but split into two fields, combat arms and field support. overall it's a mixture of making shit and blowing up shit.

3. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

:hahano:

When my son deployed in 2005 as a 21B he was working with Iraqi special forces in and around Samara, pretty much doing infantry work with UXO/IED defeat stuff thrown in. Kicking in doors, night raids on suspected insurgent compounds, etc. His current deployment is the opposite extreme. He's building Iraqi Police and Army compounds and checkpoints. He recently also became a flamethrower instructor. Not sure what they use that for in-country, but I'm guessing it's something to do with clearing areas of brush and debris.

This is my first deployment with the Army, and I'm doing route clearance - looking for any type of explosive devices in and around Baghdad (IED, UXO, HME, etc.). I've also gone on several missions with infantry units, looking for remains of soldiers that were kidnapped. We used a portable ground penetrating radar for those missions.

In AIT you will learn infantry skills, explosives, how to construct fighting positions, bailey bridge building, etc. There is an ongoing pissing match between Combat Engineers and EOD in-country. EOD wants to be the only ones that blow up shit. We are limited by order to only blowing up UXO's that are 155-rounds or smaller. We take EOD out with us on some missions, but they are pretty much just along for the ride. They don't do shit and rarely even man the crew-served weapon in their vehicles. When they are with us and we find something to blow up, they will take over and investigate/detonate the device. They don't do it any differently than we would, and they contribute absolutely nothing further to the mission, but we're still limited in what we can/can't do. (I'm not angry or anything...) :mad:

What about 21B interests you? Are you wanting the explosives training, construction, or something else? There may be something better suited to you that I could suggest - or I might be able to confirm that 21B is exactly what you're looking for. :coolugh:

4. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

I already signed the papers to my re-negotiation ( my internet was down for a few days)

I leave for FORT LEONARD WOOD on feb 7th

I got my 20k Bonus
    20K Loan
    and 350 GI Kicker.

I'm glad I got to change my MOS and what you described is what I would imagine it to be like. I'm not thinking I'm some super soldier but I know I would be alot happier being miserable doing shit like that than sitting at a desk controlling distribution for 1 year.

Blowing shit up, contruction, and chillin with some infantry guys all sounds fun. I had a crap load of MOS's from chemical to medical and all that good stuff but I think I'd enjoy this one being that I actually did some research on various jobs before choosing it.

The only thing I wanna know is what did you son say about his experiences within the MOS

5. kidhero

the army gives out bonuses to reservists?

6. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

Most reservist do it because of school, I would have gone active had I not decided to do college in the fall. The bonus's are nice and depending on how much I like it I'll pursue ROTC later on

7. kidhero

it's bullshit.

8. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

how do you figure? It's an incentive to get the people who are trying to pursue a career in a suit and tie when they get out of their ACU's.

9. kidhero

the marine corps doesn't give out bonuses to reservists. the point of the bonuses is to entice people towards active contracts, not to reward you for giving up civilian jobs. there is absolutely no need to give bonuses who serve reserve schedules.

10. The Militant

The Militant THE FUTURE

That is why I joined the army, their incentives made more sense for what I was trying to get out of the military. The point of bonuses are to entice people to join not just go active. The bigger bonuses are reserved for active duty contracts. Makes sense to me..

11. kidhero

meh i'm just bitching cause i didn't get cash. but then it irks me that the national guard and the army bitch about their longer deployments when they all make a lot more cash than marines.

12. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Have you seen the percentage of army deployed reserve component vs active? :ugh2:

link: FAQ

13. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I thought 11C was Combat Engineer?