GUN Colt Detetcive .38 Special 3in barrel a good first gun?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Dr. Magic, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

I'm a new to guns and I want something that I can get a lot of shooting range practice with and then later qualify with. In my mind the 3 inch barrel would be versatile enough to conceal when I get my permit, but not sacrifice so much accuracy.

Local shop has one for $360 and it looks brand new. Looking at prices on the internet that looks like a good price, especially for a 3inch barrel.
    What's the gun crew's opinion?

2. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Depends on your funds. You can learn alot of good shooting skills with a DA revolver. .38spl is rather expensive compared to 9mm though so I'd suggest a 9mm.

3. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I would beg to differ, you can find $5/100rd boxes of .38 wadcutters up here easily.

If it's a Colt or a S&W snub, it's a good choice. Taurus or Ruger it might be a little on the pricey side.

4. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

can't go wrong with a Colt revolver. I have a 2" Det. Special that I occationally carry. Solid guns that you can shoot forever, then pass down.

5. Dr. Magic

Dr. Magic Active Member

Being new to guns also means that I would be new to cleaning guns also. For that reason alone I'd like to stick with a revolver. I have slim hands and this Colt fit them perfectly. I know you can change grips but I woudln't need to.

I definently think is the gun for me. I just wish the shop would let me take it for a test drive. :o

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

:werd:

IMHO, if you are going to be getting a revolver in .38, it is worth it to get a .357 just for that extra power if you need it.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Well if I were him I'd certainly look into it. The cheapest .38spl I can buy locally is about $21-22 per 100 now I believe. Does your place sell mail order? The price you quote is less than 1/2 what I pay for 9mm..

8. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

Sportsman's Warehouse sells 158gr SWC 100 rd boxes for $6.79 per box. They're once fired factory reloads as far as I know. I doubt Sportsman's would sell them if they were unsafe.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Man thats a steal, I wish I had one of those around. Even online I can't find reloads that cheap. http://www.georgia-arms.com/pistol.htm for example is $15.50 per 100 at best.

10. Gimik

Gimik New Member

holy shit. I have to get me some of that.