GUN Colt 6920 owners... any regrets?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by sprite, Jun 14, 2008.

1. sprite

sprite Active Member

I'm back on the hunt for an AR and I'm 90% decided on a Colt 6920. I don't currently have a semi-auto centerfire rifle... it is going to be a jack of all trades gun. It will probably be used at the range a lot, for 3 gun a little, and for SHTF whenever the SHTF. I'm not much of a hunter but have some friends who do so there's an off chance I might take it for coyotes or something if I were ever invited.

I don't really have much planned in the way of mods... part of the reason I'm looking at the Colt is for their reputation for QC from the factory so I don't want to start fucking with it and end up with something way out of spec. I will likely mount a dot optic on it at some point. I may eventually consider one of the FF rail systems that can be installed without any disassembly aside from the handguard, so it can better accomodate a VFG and weapon light.

Aside from price, is there any good reason not to get a 6920? Purpose-specific uses aside... anyone have a 6920 and wish they they'd bought a different AR?

2. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

get full LMT; it'll be cheaper and just as good

3. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

If you look around you can find 6920s for under $1300. LMT and a Noveske N4 Light are both great choices as well.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

fail

5. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

easy man, these people hate it when you talk bad about their brands..

6. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

so tell me what is so good about cult, woah, excuse me: colt, that deserves an extra $200-$500 more than LMT?

7. The extra price... obviously. :ugh:

8. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

theres a fucking horse on it for christ's sake!

9. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]

Which one do you prefer?

10. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I find it somewhat peculiar that everyone creams themselves when the extensive testing that Colt rifles receive is listed as an "advantage." Having a manufacturing mindset, my goal has always been to develop a process that doesn't require testing...that the process will produce quality parts consistently with a DPM of less than 100 and eliminate the need for a NVA test operation.

11. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[​IMG]

12. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i'd rather build my own :o

which is what i'll do with my next upper :o

13. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Which is exactly why you have a preventative maintenance and calibration plan as part of the process. I'm not saying ax inspection/test altogether but 100% inspection is a waste for virtually any mass-produced product.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't think you could make a better choice than the colt.

15. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

typical colt owner: WOW BETTER NOT BUY LMT THEY DONT PARKARIZE UNDER THE FSB

16. johnson

johnson New Member

typical non colt owner: WOW, COLT IS OVERPRICED POS'. I CAN PUT TOGETHER AN AR FOR $600 AND IT'LL BE JUST AS GOOD. YOURE ONLY PAYING FOR THE PONY.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Some LMT FSB's
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:mamoru:

19. sprite

sprite Active Member

Okay... so what complete factory M4gery do think is better than a 6920 and why? I don't mean some dream list of parts and a gunsmith... what complete rifle?

And I'm not trying to make a point or argue... I really want to know.

20. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

LMT, RRA, S&W are all just as good as the colt. I wouldn't say any are better then Colt other then in price(I would consider the 416 and other pistons better but then were talking more money). The top tier makers all use parts of similar quality. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside with the thought your AR will say Colt on it then go ahead and buy one.

21. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I really could care less about who's rifle I shoot. It's all about the components. To be honest they are all pretty much the same. As far as lower then are all the same in terms of function and performance. There maybe some cosmetic differences that would make one more desirable than another. In terms of upper receivers my next one will be a DPMS Lo Pro. This is because the metal is thicker on the left hand side and it is the only upper receiver that you can cut for a side charger. Well this is according to my AR smith and whatever he says is truth as far as I'm concerned.

Of the OEM barrel I like the bushmasters. Inexpensive and they shoot. Staked bolt carriers or fancy bolt carries (chrome, ion bond, lightened, etc) to me are also a non issue. For 3 gun people are either running a JP, a mil spec bolt carrier, or a mil spec bolt carrier that they are having a AR smith lighten, polish the rail, and restake. In fact the current trend is to run a standard mil spec bolt carrier that a AR smith takes apart, polishrail , level carrier key, and restake.

So I would buy a inexpensive DPMS lo pro flat top 16" with mid lenght gas system and lo pro gas block (no front sight tower) and put the rest of the money into a 1x4 variable scope like a trijicon accupoint. Then shoot the snot out of it till you need to replace the barrel. When you replace the barrel, rebarrel with a jp 18" LW kit. I would also go with a standard A2 stock, add a magpul miad grip, and somewhere down the road get a trigger job. This would be my standard recomendation for somebody that wanted a all around rifle that would also be decent for 3 gun.

As far as the colts they are nice but I do not like the large pin trigger. Really limits what you can do as far as trigger jobs. Every other manufacturer in the wolrd is doing small pin.

22. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

^this guy's got the drop on 90% of yall bitches.

Hoss is one of those guys that would buy a greasy turd if the salesman told him it was the top of the line just so he could brag to his friends in his commie state that O my AR has mil-spec drop peened cast bolt super titanium infused leather holster nitrogen gas powered recharging system. Bottom line, IT DON'T MEAN SHIT.

All those fancy little things on that list mean absolutely horse shit. So you tell me how on earth did all those M16's in viet survive without all those fancy little trinkets on them? They all seemed to work just fine if history serves me correctly(when uncle sam gave them proper cleaning supplies but that's a different story).

Yar you need to browse a forum that doesn't hug one particular brand's nuts like this site does.

Until then I will continue to LOL at all you poor souls who continue to live in a commie state and think you are cool hand luke when you have "LEO only" stamped on the side of your lower or if you keep that 30 rounder locked up next your diary under your bed mattress because you are afraid your neighbor will report you.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  23. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Its yar lap dog day in OT :big grin:

24. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

That's totally not appropriate. I didn't even make that outrageous of a claim, but you definitely disrespected me, and the entire firearm community on that one. I don't care if you just know that much about the subject, or you are just ignorant to the facts that are in the field that I am an expert on, but come on. Don't bullshit the fact that I know more about this than you do. Just come straight and say you don't know what you're talking about, and we'll be cool. Seriously? This is fucking bullshit, you shouldn't get so riled up about such trivial things, but if you do, you're a fucking faggot. Go home and make love to your fucking real doll. You don't know shit about what we're talking about and you need to fucking leave this thread right now. Buy a bullet and rent a gun, because sir, you are finished in life

25. cptbimes

cptbimes New Member

[​IMG]

Can't PM. anyway i wrote you a PM but obviously couldn't send it to you. you got a trash email?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008