SRS colposcopy

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BeautyThatMoves, Mar 27, 2008.

1. BeautyThatMoves

BeautyThatMoves captain

In January I had a regular appointment with my gynecologist, during which I had a pap smear. I got a letter from her about a month later, which I didnt open because I thought it was a bill--and you dont pay bills, you put them in a pile to worry about when you get a second notice. So my dad calls me up to say I got another bill, and I open the first one. It says my pap smear showed abnormal results and I need to come in for a colposcopy. Not another pap smear-which is normal procedure. This is a whole different type of exam. After making my appointment, I found that the procedure will end with them taking a biopsy of my cervix--which surely isnt much fun at all.
    Abnormal pap smear results pretty much mean one of these things: a) there were abnormal cells for some reason, but there is no health risk involved with them, b) the cells are pre-cancerous, c) the cells are cancerous, d) you have some form of hpv
    My mother had to have a hysterectomy, so did my grandmother and great grandmother on my dads side. My great grandmother had cervical cancer, then battled with stomach cancer. Her stomach cancer just came back this week. My grandmother on my dads side had reproductive cancer as well.
    I'm only 22. I dont have the eating or exercise habits, but I have been on birth control at least half the time since I was about 16. I've tried convincing myself this is no big deal, but thats really not working. I'm terrified really.

And I talked to my boss, who is in her 30's and has had all kinds of reproductive troubles. She acted like it must be pretty serious since they didnt want to do a second pap smear--confirming by belief that a 2nd pap is normal procedure and that there must have been something obviously wrong in the original one.

2. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Nobody likes to go to the hospital, but don't give in to fear. You see, i also had this stuff from which i thought it was cancer for many many years, purely out of fear i didn't go , then one foggy day i decided to go to the doctor and it appeared to be nothing, all these years of worrying for no reason had caused me a lot of unneccesary stress.

If you have it you have it, which means you have to think in a different way. My boss said it this way, if you suspect anything, the sooner you get treatment, the greater your chance is for survival.

When it comes to cancer, age hasn't got to do anything with it, you can be 1 ,10, 100 year(s) old to get it, but since this stuff is in your family, i would definitly get it checked out, trust me i'd be the first to like to say to you 'its nothing don't worry', but even if its just to get rid of those for god saken fears, immediatly go. The faster the better. Im not saying it like it is a choice, you have to go.

3. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Take it seriously, and be organized. Go to appts on time, get the proper procedures done exactly when told, and consider redoing testing or second opinions when or if serious diagnosis are made.

Try not to panic, call your doctor if you must, they'll reassure you. Leave a note with the secretary for your particular doctor and say "received abnormal results in mail, need to speak with you immediately." - the note will be passed on and your doctor will call.

4. Kinks

Kinks Sup. OT Supporter

health-related anxiety is really hard to deal with, but there are a few things that you need to consider:

1) cancer has always happened. people used to just get sick, and die. now we can test for it, and treat it. and the earlier the better, which is why women have regular pap smears.
    2) just because other people have/had cancer does NOT mean you have cancer. you're assuming the worst, and the truth is probably much less scary.
    3) there's no point worrying about things you can't control or don't know about. find out what it is, and IF it's a problem get treatment.

5. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

Hey, I just sent you a PM about this so check it out. Once Beauty ok's it, I'll post it here too.

6. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

I had to have this done when I was 21 and received abnormal results. My mother always had abnormal tests and my sister had cervical cancer. I had it done and I can't lie, it hurts...a lot. But you have to get through it because it's needed for your health. Luckily I ended up beiing ok and I was a little bitter about having to go therough that to find it out but 2 years later I'm glad I did because I haven't had an abnormal pap since.

Calm down, you need to call them and talk to your gyno to see what he/she says. Set up the appointment and you can even ask if they will give you a painkiller for before or after the colposcopy.

7. IHAMWETARDDID

IHAMWETARDDID "We could make babies and accidental songs..."

Honestly, I am dealing with the same thing right now. I have the pre-cancerous cells for cervical cancer. I asked my dr. the other day about having the procedure to get rid of the cells and in return she asked me where I heard about that. Well, my sister had to have it done recently. My Dr. said that only old fashioned Dr.'s still perform those procedures because in the end it could end up hurting you. For example, if you remove the cells there is a chance that you can damage the surface of the cervix, then if you did develop cancer or more cancerous cells, the dr. would be unable to tell. She went into great detail about how we just need to monitor the abnormal cell growth and do nothing to remove it. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

8. IHAMWETARDDID

IHAMWETARDDID "We could make babies and accidental songs..."

I have had it down twice. The first time hurt REALLY REALLY bad. IDK, if it was the pain or just the sound of the cut. The second time I told the Dr. (a new Dr.) that it hurt the first time and she said that it could have been the way the one Dr. did it. The second time did not hurt at all, I hadn't even realized she had done it. Good luck.. It's necessary for your health is all that kept me going :hs:

9. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I think what scares a lot of girls is the "if left untreated they can become cancerous." part of all this. Its borderline inflamitory. The statement implies that ANY form of HPV on the cervix can become cancerous without treatment. The truth is that of the 24 or so types of HPV, only 4 cause cancer and even with those 4 types, "left untreated" means years and years and years of being untreated. So it should be "In RARE cases SOME types of HPV have the POTENTIAL to become cancerous" otherwise, youre scaring people for no reason. I'm proof that even with HPV, multiple paps finding abnormal cells, 3 abnormal colposcopies finding pre-cancerous cells, and 1 laser ablation surgery over a 7 year time span, you can still NOT have cancer.

Also, a LEEP is a HUGE step forward here. There are lots of new, less invasive and simpler ways to treat abnormal cells on the cervix. Lots of times as IHAM said, you dont need to do anything and the abnormality will clear up on its own.

10. RebootEnzo

RebootEnzo New Member

I think it is rude that the send letters for this type of thing. The doctor should call you in and talk to you.